Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: alatreille on September 09, 2015, 05:58:15 pm
-
I'm about to purchase a new laptop 13-14" size for on site tethering. I'll be running C1 or Lightroom depending on whose assisting me.
Assuming the same computer with 8gigs of ram, will I notice any significant performance difference between and i5 or an i7 processor?
Thanks
Andrew
-
Another consideration is the potential for overheating. When I was buying 2 or 3 years ago it seemed that i7 laptops were prone to overheat. I would hope that's been sorted but check the forums as a colleague bought recently and he went i5 to avoid such problems. However, I really would hope this is no longer a problem.
-
Depends what you mean with "significant performance difference". If you are going to use the laptop for tethering only, i am pretty certain you won't notice anything. If you're going to do processing of any kind as well, the faster the better.
I'm tethering to a 13" MBP with an i5 and haven't noticed any delays or hesitations. I'm tethering into Capture One (v8), if that matters at all. I now use a Nikon D810.
-
It depends on the clock speed of the processor as well. I've run LR on both i5 and i7 CPUs (albeit desktop PCs) and the difference in speed is noticeable but not a deal breaker. If anything your limiting factor might be the 8gb ram as opposed to 16gb that most everyone runs in desktops (I'm ignoring PS which likes even more). Overheating of laptops is more a function of dust accumulation inside, inhibiting cooling.
-
It depends on the clock speed of the processor as well. I've run LR on both i5 and i7 CPUs (albeit desktop PCs) and the difference in speed is noticeable but not a deal breaker. If anything your limiting factor might be the 8gb ram as opposed to 16gb that most everyone runs in desktops (I'm ignoring PS which likes even more). Overheating of laptops is more a function of dust accumulation inside, inhibiting cooling.
Yes, I'd rather have 16gb ram paired with an i5 rather than 8gb with an i7.
-
Hi all,
Thanks for your replies. Yes 16gb of ram would definitely be preferable, but my requirements for a portable laptop with great battery life, and a screen usable outdoors don't seem to mesh with 16gbs....they all have 8.
I'm looking at the HP Spectre X360 or the Lenovo T450s (ram can be upgraded)
The HP is winning at the moment due to price/features.
Just trying to work out if I need the i7 version, or could go with the i5
Cheers
AL
-
Then buy the i5 version with 8gb and use the money to do the RAM upgrade to 16gb or more yourself. Easy to do and usually cheaper than paying for the upgrade through the PC builder's website (order RAM from Amazon or NewEgg). I agree with the others that benefit of the extra 8gb will be more useful than the bump from the i7.
Doug
-
Thanks Doug.
This is the directions I've been heading...thinking also to do the same 'self' upgrade to an SSD.
Cheers
AL
Then buy the i5 version with 8gb and use the money to do the RAM upgrade to 16gb or more yourself. Easy to do and usually cheaper than paying for the upgrade through the PC builder's website (order RAM from Amazon or NewEgg). I agree with the others that benefit of the extra 8gb will be more useful than the bump from the i7.
Doug