Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: OnlyNorth on September 04, 2015, 03:08:47 am
-
Three days before I saw at Euronews that the Apollonia Arts Festival has begun.I remembered that I was there at the beginning of this summer.Apollonia is the Greek name of Sozopol,a Bulgarian Black See resort.The setlement is on a small peninsula at around 400km from Sofia and Bucharest. For a tourist the difference is that from Sofia it drives on a motorway and from Bucharest it drives on a single lane road.
-
The sttlement appears to be from Bronze Age
-
But the current town was founded by Greeks in 7th c.B.C.
-
On this territory were more invader layers.Upon Thracians came Greeks then Romans,Byzantians,Bulgars,Byzantians again and finally Ottomans.The word "finally" is a polite way to hide what the despicable 20th c.and even 21st brought.
From Greek Age remained the ruins of a tower's gate and of a wall,which were reconstructed.
-
Not all ruins were reconstructed this one,which is a Church from the early Christianity was only dug up.
-
Before to finish with the digging up of the past I must to say that on the Isle of St.John(around 1500 acres),which is near Sozopol it was discovered the ruins of the Christian settlement and the relics of St.John the Baptist.They was moved in this church.
-
Today,as in many other places of the world,the native beauty of Sozopol is hard to be found.Sometimes it is hidden in a dip,like this church from 15th or 16th century
-
This St.Mary church is an UNESCO heritage and shows the answer of Bulgarian priests at the Ottoman rule that the height of the churches to be smaller than an Ottoman rider on his horse.
-
Sometimes a survivor appears behind the ruins like this house from 15th century,covered with wood against salted winds. What game of the chance did that!
-
Other times the commercial interests hide the picturesqueness of the street.
-
What the natives of this place do-beside dealing with sea,sun and sand- was a question for me.
-
They sell any,from hats against sun
-
to fur coats against winter :)
-
From October 30 to November,around 30(I should say)what could I say I did.I was in the street to know who are those who asked the ''departure'' of the PM.Before returning to Apollonia I show you what I saw.
-
Of course there were and another kind of people like these
-
And the symbol of the gullibility
-
Returning to Apollonia and at my question about activities of the natives,at least one of them tried to teach a dog... to drive :)
-
I do not know if those two are indigenous or not.That is less important,more important seems to be to stay on that hot iron plate.
( :o My opinion is that the number of Lula visitors is smaller with 40-50 at this hour.I don't ask why :-*)
-
Another question is raising,this time about the tourists,what they do all day.
-
What they do?Simply,one side says come and the other says wait.
-
Some could admire and some could be admired :)
-
but there were some who should have invited her on their boats :)
-
Leaving the joke behind,the quietness,still,characterizes Apollonia.The differeces between this 7000 years old town and St.Tropez,for exemple,are great and my point of view is favourable to Apollonia.
-
I should not want to be a wrong understanding.There are quiet and beautiful places there in St.Tropez.I posted an image with it because, for me, this place became well known after ''Le gendarme de Saint-Tropez'' a film with Louis de Funes.
-
Who wants to raise the eyes could see wonderful old things.
-
At the end of this digression it could say there is something relish for everyone in Saint-Tropez.
-
For those who want to admire the shore from the sea, there are several small ships.
-
This was a superficial view about the life in former Apollonia.To deeply explore more time is needed.I did not see dedicated spaces for those small and closed communities.About night-life I can tell nothing because,for me,that kind of exploring asks a very good knowledge of the places,first,during the day.
PS: Happy Christmas for those who believe and a Happy Day for those who don't.