Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on September 01, 2015, 08:32:34 am

Title: Show us your worst.
Post by: stamper on September 01, 2015, 08:32:34 am
Members are inclined to post their "best" efforts but delete their "worst". Yesterday I had two auto focus failures and a lot more - but rather than delete them I am posting them. Now how about others posting theirs?
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: PeterAit on September 01, 2015, 08:38:23 am
I would, but the LuLa server may not have enough free terabytes <g>.
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: francois on September 01, 2015, 08:51:05 am
Here's one but I have to agree with Peter, the LuLa server would need to be seriously boosted just for me (and Peter)!

 :D
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: stamper on September 01, 2015, 08:58:13 am
You can do worse than that surely? ;)
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: francois on September 01, 2015, 09:09:54 am
You can do worse than that surely? ;)

OK, I'll try to dig out something more substantial.
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Rob C on September 01, 2015, 09:18:24 am
Caution, stamper, I think you're skating a very fine line between fun and cruelty with these 'rejects' you want to show.

Is that what street's about these days?

Rob C
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: louoates on September 01, 2015, 10:34:21 am
I've seen -- and shot -- far worse street than those. In fact, matching the focus of the background, along with the muddy grittiness of the processing is quite interesting.
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: BobDavid on September 01, 2015, 11:31:29 am
Call me crazy, but I rather like the pictures you guys posted.
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: BobDavid on September 01, 2015, 11:35:40 am
I think this is about the cheesiest picture I've taken over the past few years. At the time, I was on horrible medication. During that time, I worked on a series of nauseating pictures.
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: stamper on September 01, 2015, 12:28:35 pm
I've seen -- and shot -- far worse street than those. In fact, matching the focus of the background, along with the muddy grittiness of the processing is quite interesting.

I normally straighten my images and try to make them as "presentable" as possible. Others don't seem to do that and I am now appreciating the "unpolished" look they present. Something to explore?
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: armand on September 02, 2015, 10:16:35 pm
I can do worse than this but this is a little frustrating miss
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 02, 2015, 11:35:05 pm
I have so many candidates for my "worst" that it will take me quite a while to whittle them down to few enough to post.

Among my personal favorite "worsts" from film days were from my much loved Mamiya 6, my first rangefinder camera in about forty years. For the first couple of rolls of film I shot with it, the first few images were totally blank -- until I noticed that the lens cap was still on! (Blush!!)

I leave it to your imagination to see what those photos looked like.   :'(
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: MattBurt on September 03, 2015, 12:34:34 am
Here's me crashing into my own camera on (soon to be off) my mountain bike. So not only was it a bad shot it was lousy bike handling as well!
(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8841/16711982453_529a797a40_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/rsMh9v)IMGP9259 (https://flic.kr/p/rsMh9v) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: francois on September 03, 2015, 05:37:06 am
…
I leave it to your imagination to see what those photos looked like.   :'(

You were performing dark-frame subtraction before the digital age…  :D
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Rob C on September 03, 2015, 08:37:23 am
Here's me crashing into my own camera on (soon to be off) my mountain bike. So not only was it a bad shot it was lousy bike handling as well!
(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8841/16711982453_529a797a40_z.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/rsMh9v)IMGP9259 (https://flic.kr/p/rsMh9v) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr


You failed to fail, Matt: that's quite an interesting abstract you 'landed' up with, I think. Work on it.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 03, 2015, 10:28:49 am
You were performing dark-frame subtraction before the digital age…  :D
Right. I subtracted two or three very dark frames from each of at least two 12-image rolls.   ;)

Of course, those might well have been my best shots ever, if only...  :(
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: razrblck on September 03, 2015, 11:32:54 am
Of the few I kept, there's this one film shot from the Bronica. I don't know why I thought it was ok at the time, it's awfully dark and the reflected light from the leaves above casts ugly shadows on the model's face. On top of that I slightly missed focus and underexposed, as you can see from all the grain the scanner found while trying to get the picture to show up.
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Rob C on September 03, 2015, 01:02:50 pm
Was it Robert Capa who remarked that if your picture's not good enough, it's because you're not close enough?

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: MattBurt on September 03, 2015, 02:05:55 pm

You failed to fail, Matt: that's quite an interesting abstract you 'landed' up with, I think. Work on it.

;-)

Rob C

Oh great, I can't even get failure right!  :P
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: razrblck on September 03, 2015, 02:42:42 pm
Was it Robert Capa who remarked that if your picture's not good enough, it's because you're not close enough?

;-)

Rob C

That would've made it even worse!  :D
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Rob C on September 03, 2015, 03:30:55 pm
That would've made it even worse!  :D


Yeah, but don't forget: Capa was Magnum.

Rob
Title: My bad
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on September 23, 2015, 10:14:24 pm
This isn't a total failure from the outset; it's worse.
Mediocre concept>a lot of post-processing time>mediocre result.
I could have saved myself a lot of trouble if I'd
trashed it at the beginning.

Resignedly,
Dale
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Bruce Cox on September 24, 2015, 10:57:39 am
I put a square flashlight beam on a five pointed flower and then pretented at length that it just needed more work.

Bruce
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 24, 2015, 02:22:14 pm
Have you since acquired a flashlight with a five-sided beam?   ;)
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Rob C on September 24, 2015, 02:36:41 pm
Have you since acquired a flashlight with a five-sided beam?   ;)


So, you really were a mathematician!

Rob
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 24, 2015, 05:51:50 pm

So, you really were a mathematician!

Rob
Well, not really a mathematician. More like a Professor of math. "Profess" means pretty much the same as "pretend," so a "professor" is someone who pretends to know something about his or her field. I managed to keep up the pretense for 35 years, and happily retired so I could spend more time pretending to be a photographer.   ;D

Eric
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: petermfiore on September 24, 2015, 08:06:35 pm
Well, not really a mathematician. More like a Professor of math. "Profess" means pretty much the same as "pretend," so a "professor" is someone who pretends to know something about his or her field. I managed to keep up the pretense for 35 years, and happily retired so I could spend more time pretending to be a photographer.   ;D

Eric

We all tend to PROFESS from time to time...

Peter
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 25, 2015, 12:28:54 pm
We all tend to PROFESS from time to time...

Peter
Thanks, Peter. So I am not alone.
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: petermfiore on September 25, 2015, 04:29:21 pm
Thanks, Peter. So I am not alone.

Humanity has much in common, rather than not...We just like to think we do.

Peter
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: Rob C on September 26, 2015, 04:03:33 am
Thanks, Peter. So I am not alone.



During my time in a Tibetan monastery - must have lived in one for seventy-seven years - daily windowsill entertainment found in watching the vultures do their eternal clean-up work was often spoiled by that chance glance into the mirrors on my walls. Those instantly broke my belief that I was alone: the bloody cell was crowded!

;-(

Rob C
Title: Re: Show us your worst.
Post by: armand on October 06, 2015, 10:45:01 pm
Two cheetahs chasing each other, running withing few meters of me. This is what I got with 600 mm while trying to keep the animal in the viewfinder.