Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Eknapp on August 30, 2015, 09:05:33 am

Title: Epson 9600 magenta
Post by: Eknapp on August 30, 2015, 09:05:33 am
Epson 9600 users! I humbly seek your guidance and wisdom. My Epson 9600 won't print magenta. I've run cleanings, power cleanings, paper towels soaked in Windex, etc. No luck. So I resorted to taking the thing apart. I dissembled the dampers and found that they all looked functional except for the magenta damper. The ink inside was black and the port that connects to the print head was free of ink. Any useful insights would be met with sincere gratitude.   
Title: Re: Epson 9600 magenta
Post by: huguito on September 08, 2015, 05:12:33 pm
Before taking it apart did you tried a new cartridge?

Title: Re: Epson 9600 magenta
Post by: Eknapp on September 08, 2015, 05:56:07 pm
Thank you or your reply! I did replace the cartridge. Seems like ink is making it to the damper. My concern was that the black ink indicted that whatever ink was making it to the damper was staying in there and not being expressed through the print head for some reason.
Title: Re: Epson 9600 magenta
Post by: Jim Metzger on September 08, 2015, 08:22:50 pm
I would contact American Inkjet Systems, not sure I can link to them directly. They were to only one to help me with my 7600 with replacement parts and great advice. They have cleaning fluid that really works if it is a clog. All bets are off if there is real damage to the internals.

They strongly recommend NOT using Windex with ammonia for cleaning. It dries too fast and can make the problem worse.

Good luck. I love having a 14 year old printer that keeps on going and not one client has "complained" about a lack of gamut in my prints.

Jim
Title: Re: Epson 9600 magenta
Post by: BrianWJH on September 09, 2015, 05:10:05 am
My concern was that the black ink indicted that whatever ink was making it to the damper was staying in there and not being expressed through the print head for some reason.

It may be that the damper is blocked in which case they are easily replaced on a 9600, I would also check the ink lines to make sure that there is no clumping of pigment.

If the ink lines do have clumping you would need to flush the affected ink lines before priming new ink into the replaced damper(s) and printhead.

Check this link (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103198.msg847232#msg847232) for a recent thread on ink sedimentation and photos of a clogged magenta ink damper.

Brian.
Title: Re: Epson 9600 magenta
Post by: Eknapp on September 14, 2015, 03:06:49 pm
Thank you very much for your insight, Jim. I'll give American Inkjet Systems a shot.
Title: Re: Epson 9600 magenta
Post by: Eknapp on September 14, 2015, 03:07:48 pm
Thank you, Brian.