Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MrSmith27 on August 28, 2015, 12:31:49 pm

Title: Best software for high-quality stitched Foveon-Panoramas?
Post by: MrSmith27 on August 28, 2015, 12:31:49 pm
Hi all,

I'd like to stitch panoramas from DP2 and DP3 Merrill source images. When I open single "normal" Merrill images and zoom to 100% those are incredibly sharp. When I do the same to my panoramas they are somewhat mushy, probably because Hugin (the software I'm currently using) scales them down, or converts them somewhat before stitching.

I am looking for an alternative tool that retains as much image quality as possibly. My dream configuration would be something like: I import 12 Tiffs into the tool and I get a large Photoshop document with layers back, same resolution, same sharpness.

Can you recommend a program?

Cheers,
S
Title: Re: Best software for high-quality stitched Foveon-Panoramas?
Post by: SZRitter on August 28, 2015, 01:22:09 pm
Have you tried in Photoshop? I can't say mine have ever been "smushed" and you can have it leave the individual layers.
Title: Re: Best software for high-quality stitched Foveon-Panoramas?
Post by: mikeodial on August 28, 2015, 01:52:15 pm
I have not tried it, but a product called Photo Mechanic apparently works in native Sigma format (the only one I have heard of other than SPP). It looks like a Lightroom competitor, but read about it on Reid Reviews. This might solve your problem. Also try the Sigma Camera forum on dpreview, there is some really knowledge there on Sigma Cameras.

They have a trial version you might want to try it. Link below.

http://www.camerabits.com/
Title: Re: Best software for high-quality stitched Foveon-Panoramas?
Post by: MrSmith27 on August 29, 2015, 07:29:42 am
In a, ummm, stunning turns of events I tried Lightroom's "Edit in>Merge to Panorama in Photoshop" feature, and...

1) It works like a charm
2) Outputs as masked, editable, layers
3) Automatically pastes the result back into Lightroom even using the original capture time stamp

Wow.