Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: TomFrerichs on August 25, 2015, 02:02:36 pm

Title: Bareback rider
Post by: TomFrerichs on August 25, 2015, 02:02:36 pm
I'd say that there's got to be a better way to make a living, but since was a small rodeo there's no way anyone could make a living.  Must be the reason a lot of us take photographs...just for the fun of it.
Title: Re: Bareback rider
Post by: francois on August 26, 2015, 03:02:19 am
Spectacular - this shot transmits the energy of moment with both the rider and the horse producing their best effort to fight each other. The two spectators, not too far away, are really a plus and make the image complete.
I also like the B&W treatment, just right.

Congrats, Tom!
Title: Re: Bareback rider
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 26, 2015, 03:49:03 am
Great moment, very nicely captured. I agree with Francois that the processing is good, although I find the shot rather dark.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Bareback rider
Post by: stamper on August 26, 2015, 03:55:41 am
It is a "busy" image but your processing means that the horse and rider are not part of the background. The person behind the rider kind of catches the eye but this is a small nitpick. Overall a fine image and I like the underexposed look.
Title: Re: Bareback rider
Post by: Bob_B on August 26, 2015, 09:51:50 am
I very much like the vitality of the scene, but unlike the others, I think it is a bit overprocessed, at least in sharpening and clarity (local contrast). To my eyes, this shows up on the horse's side facing the light and the odd halos around the spectators' hat brims. Of course, this could just be due to jpg compression at LuLa's end and my viewing the image from my office monitor. I hope this offers some help for possible improvements.
Title: Re: Bareback rider
Post by: TomFrerichs on August 26, 2015, 03:25:10 pm
... I think it is a bit overprocessed, at least in sharpening and clarity (local contrast).

You are 100 percent correct.  I had uploaded the wrong version, but it was too late when I noticed.  Mea culpa.