Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: synn on August 25, 2015, 04:45:44 am

Title: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: synn on August 25, 2015, 04:45:44 am
With the current used prices, I am facing a serious urge to add one to the kit. What is the general opinion on this lens? Is it sharper than the 35mm AF?
The intended use is with a 645DF+ and a Credo 40.

Thanks in advance!
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: Paul2660 on August 25, 2015, 08:42:31 am
Over the past 5 years, I have owned 2 of them. 

Both were OK on center, P45+ DF setup, but when shifted, only OK and this is at F11.  No tilt only shift and I have found that tilt can be as important with MF as shift. 

The actual lens is well built all metal design and has nice contrast. 

The 35mm AF 3.5 I have was a better solution for me.  Some of them are also better than others. 

Paul
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: georgem on August 25, 2015, 09:46:09 am
There have been positive comments by members in the forum e.g. http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=94442.msg771185#msg771185

Try also the search; this lens has appeared in a few discussions in the past.

I am happy with mine!
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: synn on August 26, 2015, 03:40:36 am
Thank you, both.

I find my 35mm to be a very good copy and quite sharp (Except for the very edges of the frame). The 50mm shift would give me a good lens to do panoramas with, hence the interest.
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: georgem on August 26, 2015, 05:13:32 am
If you visit Berlin and want to test the lens, let me know.
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: BobDavid on August 26, 2015, 08:31:23 am
It's an okay lens. I seem to remember some color fringing when it's shifted beyond 6mm. The contrast and color are good. I used mine for stitching when I had a 36 X 36 Ixpress 384C.  

My copy of the 35mm lens was sharp in the center, but could not handle infinity along the edges on a 36 X 48 sensor. It performed well for interiors.
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: synn on August 27, 2015, 03:28:41 am
If you visit Berlin and want to test the lens, let me know.

Thank you for the offer. This might actually be possible for me. I will drop you a PM when I am around there next.

 :)
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: synn on September 05, 2015, 11:06:10 am
So, I bit the bullet and ended up buying one off ebay. Did a quick (And admittedly, unscientific) test. Please find it here (http://www.sandeepmurali.com/blog/2015/9/mamiya-50mm-f/4-shift-lens-review).
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: eronald on September 05, 2015, 02:19:53 pm
I had a 50mm shift, and it was never too sharp, but many other users say their samples are good - so I guess your mileage may vary.
One nice thing was the price, I think $300 or thereabouts.
For what it matters, I did a test with my P45+ vs the Nikon D3x and a 24mm Nikon shift; viewed on the screen the Nikon was subjectively sharp, but in fact the Mamiya outresolved it by a wide margin. There was simply no contest that the MF system was *far* better.

Edmund
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: synn on September 05, 2015, 03:03:31 pm
Thanks for the feedback, Edmund. In my initial tests, I agree with you that it is not the sharpest lens out there, but it is quite consistent.
What I really like about this lens is how it renders. Definitely feels like a lens from a different era compared to the newer Mamiyas and the clinical Schneiders. For the lack of a better word, it feels very filmic.

For the type of work I want to do with it, I think it will be a good match.

Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: synn on September 05, 2015, 03:33:24 pm
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/672/21170327195_251661b760_o.png)

Here is a screenshot at 100% to show the rendering quality I am talking about. Straight from Capture One Pro. (Right click, view image)

Nikon D800 and 16-35 VR on the left, Mamiya 645 DF+, Credo 40 and Mamiya 35 f/3.5 in the middle, Mamiya 645 DF+, Credo 40 and Mamiya 50mm f/4 shift on the right.

Look at how the bark of the tree renders in the right image. I really love it.Much less digital than the others.
Title: Re: Mamiya 50mm shift: Opinions?
Post by: eronald on September 05, 2015, 04:33:33 pm
There is one participant in this forum whose posts I have chosen not to read.

Edmund