Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: PeterAit on August 23, 2015, 10:01:58 am

Title: THe new Sony and Nikon lenses
Post by: PeterAit on August 23, 2015, 10:01:58 am
I must say that the Sony A7Rii is the first camera in a long while that has my fingers inching toward my credit card. Still, I have a sizable investment in Nikon lenses. In his review of the camera, Michael vaguely mentions that an adapter to use Nikon lenses on the Sony body is in the works. Is there any new information on this?

Buying a new body is one thing, but if I would need to buy a new stable of lenses as well it would be quite something else.
Title: Re: THe new Sony and Nikon lenses
Post by: HSakols on August 23, 2015, 10:15:18 am
I wonder if it is only a matter of time before Nikon offers a full frame mirror less camera?  But then again with the announcement of the new 24-70 VR, I don't know if size and weight will be priority.  I personally would have liked to see a lighter 24-70 f4 lens - not that I would be able to afford right now. 
Title: Re: THe new Sony and Nikon lenses
Post by: Paul2660 on August 23, 2015, 12:11:35 pm
I must say that the Sony A7Rii is the first camera in a long while that has my fingers inching toward my credit card. Still, I have a sizable investment in Nikon lenses. In his review of the camera, Michael vaguely mentions that an adapter to use Nikon lenses on the Sony body is in the works. Is there any new information on this?

Buying a new body is one thing, but if I would need to buy a new stable of lenses as well it would be quite something else.

Metabones has an adapter now, however it requires the lens to be manually focused.  With the EVF on the Sony and their well designed focus peaking, the metabones may be a good place to start.  From what I have read so far the Canon AF on the Metabones is slow, but accurate.  The new Nikon adapter is not from Metabones, but another Chinese company.  However with China's economy on a downward spiral it may take longer to see this adapter.   There has been quite a bit written about the "new" adapter over on nikonrumors.com

Paul