Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MattBurt on August 20, 2015, 01:35:57 pm

Title: Lightning from my porch
Post by: MattBurt on August 20, 2015, 01:35:57 pm
I have a second story porch that overlooks a nice open area leading to the local fairgrounds. It's a great spot for coffee or a beer while weather watching. Monday morning at about 4:30 a very loud and violent thunderstorm passed over our little town and got everyone up early that day. I can be a heavy sleeper but it was impossible to ignore with high winds, near constant lightning, and some of the loudest thunder I can recall hearing.
So I got up and went to the porch with two camera setups for some interval shooting to see what I could get.
I got quite a few bolts captured and decided to stack multiple images to show the activity over several minutes. Here's a stack from each camera I had going.
K-3 & DA* 16-50/2.8
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5719/20652395875_a9145df26a_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/xsYVLX)IMGP0337-IMGP0355-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/xsYVLX) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr

K-5 & Rokinon 8/3.5
(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/696/20486592489_8340a56b04_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/xdk9cT)IMGP5236-IMGP5246-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/xdk9cT) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr

I shoot for the local paper sometimes so I submitted them and the fisheye one wound up on the front page.
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5796/20741107391_eebb202ab0_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/xAPABR)GCT Front page 2015-08-20 (https://flic.kr/p/xAPABR) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr