Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: churly on August 19, 2015, 08:35:49 pm
-
I spent a piece of a lovely morning in the lavender patch watching these guys until the knees and back rebelled.
Chuck
-
Very nice set and one very important insect on this planet.
Dwayne Oakes
-
That is a terrific set of images.
And Dwayne is right.
-
Nice shots! I love bumble bees, they are the dominant bee here and I find them charming. When I was a kid I used to pet their fuzzy little bodies before I knew they could sting but I never got stung! Pretty docile little critters!
-
These are fun subjects, I chase them around too!
I particularly like the lift-off/landing shot with the wing blur and the mandible either extending ready for action or not yet folded up to the ventral surface, depending on whether bee is landing or lifting off. And the pollen sac gives a lovely touch of color.
http://www.pollinator.org/books.htm bumblebee books, eastern US and western US species
http://www.pollinatorsnativeplants.com/ book on pollinators and native plants interactions, quite good short chapter on basics of pollination ecology, terms, visual glossary of plant and insect parts; bulk of book is organised by plant species, listing pollinators and parasites, lots of photos. I recommend it - I needed something basic. Coverage is Upper Midwest and prairie states, also applicable to my state's prairies and glades (Missouri).
-
Thanks all for the comments. A bit slow to respond as I've been away doing field experiments. Seems like it gets harder every year.
Nancy - Thanks for the links. I will have a look over the weekend.