Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: soboyle on August 19, 2015, 08:57:06 am
-
Hi folks,
A bit of a plug here, something I rarely do, but necessity is the mother of shameless self promotion.
I’ve been selected to go to Antarctica for two months with the National Science Foundation this October. I’ll be photographing the historic Shackleton and Scott huts, and will be embedded with several different science groups in the Dry Valleys and on Ross Island. It’s a fantastic photographic opportunity for me - more like a dream opportunity. I applied to the program over a year ago, and just recently received the news that I’m in, and get ready to go by October 16th!
What I didn't fully appreciate until now is that the NSF only covers flights and room & board. No other financial or other awards are given. Long story short, my income bracket doesn’t allow for sudden and extraordinary spending. I’m doing a fundraiser for equipment and expedition clothing, and am running a Kickstarter campaign to do that. I’m offering unique rewards for your support, a book, Polaroids and prints, so if you can, please check it out, and make a pledge. There is a lot more detail about the project there.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1322320805/portraits-of-place-in-antarctica
I believe this trip will produce some truly remarkable and unique work, and you will be able to get some of that work at a very reasonable price, and help me make the project a success. Thank you!
-
Good luck with it and congratulations on your selection.
But I have to ask, why did you not find out about the expenses before you applied?
Best of luck to you in this, though.
-
I have been planning for this this trip for some time, but expenses are higher than expected. It's my fault, not anticipating things like required medical exams, lab work and dental work costs, which are way above and beyond what I thought would be required. 12 lead EKG, exotic blood work tests, full mouth xrays etc. etc. This ate into project savings to the point where I need to raise funds for things like redundant camera gear, heavy clothing, and computer backup hardware.
It's a fantastic opportunity, but the hidden costs are making it a challenge financially.
-
Just a heads up on this project, I'm posting to the project blog if anyone wants to follow along as it progresses.
www.popantarctica.wordpress.com (https://popantarctica.wordpress.com/)
Also, the kickstarter campaign is going well, and is currently 76% funded with 12 days left to go.
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1322320805/portraits-of-place-in-antarctica (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1322320805/portraits-of-place-in-antarctica)
-
Ha get a job or a bank loan.