Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on August 18, 2015, 09:46:58 am
-
Out of step.
-
If you would cut-off their heads and shoulders (sorry, cropped them out) and eliminate the bystanders far left, you'd have a very much Elliott Erwitt-esque street image. And a very good one at that.
-
Pretty sure I see a street, or is that technically an avenue?
Perhaps you are are shooting in a new venue: Avenue Photography? ;D
-
Pretty sure I see a street, or is that technically an avenue?
Perhaps you are are shooting in a new venue: Avenue Photography? ;D
I haven't been down that road. :)
-
I guess it depends on what your definition of street is, Stamper. I'd call this one a tourist shot.
-
There's a certain ambiguity about it ... :)
-
There's a certain ambiguity about it ... :)
That is what I thought so hence the teasing post. :)
-
I don't see ambiguity here - what I see is imaginative photojournalism which makes it a good shot.
-
Just out of interest can a shot be considered photojournalism if it's not intended for publication within the context of a story?
Just asking.
Mike
-
Just out of interest can a shot be considered photojournalism if it's not intended for publication within the context of a story?
Consider: a photo not intended for publication within the context of a story but nonetheless used in that way.
Consider: a photo intended for publication within the context of a story but not used in that way - used instead, or additionally, as art.
-
Possibly I didn't express myself well.
My own take would be that:
Certainly a shot taken from a 'story' could be an excellent piece of art in its own right. I am sure we can all think of examples. However, in the context of the story it is photojournalism.
A shot taken not as part of a story would not be photojournalism by the photographer as he had no story to tell which is surely the journalism part. If another author uses that image for his story then I'm not sure if it is photojournalism, or simply journalism with pictures.
It barely matters but in the context of this thread I'd say the image is street or high art but not photojournalism, if one bothers to care. Is that book by Martin Parr, The Last Resort I think it is, photojournalism or high art? Damned if I know.