Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Mike Sellers on August 17, 2015, 12:03:05 pm

Title: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Mike Sellers on August 17, 2015, 12:03:05 pm
How would you rate the 105-210 mm zoom and 55-110 zoom lenses?
Mike
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Paul2660 on August 17, 2015, 12:49:06 pm
I never found the 55-110 that good a lens, at least with a P45+.  My 105-210 was very sharp, but prone to problems with mirror vibrations or vibrations period in certain shutter speed ranges, around 1/8th to 1/45th or so on a tripod.  Vertical was always worse.

I sold my 105-210 and purchased a used 210mm and still have it, excellent lens.  Hood design sucks as mine no longer has a hood lock and won't stay in place. 

All of these lenses to my eyes offer less contrast than the new D glass, either Mamiya or Phase One branded.

If you can fit it into the budget, the 75-150 is as good as it gets.  I sold the 105-210 and purchased the 75-150, non LS.  It's a beast but very sharp throughout the zoom range.

One note some of these lenses need firmware updates to work with the DF or DF+ correctly.  The 75-150 will and I believe the 105-210 will also. 

Good news is the 105-210 and 55-110 are both on the used market for a good price. 

Paul
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Mike Sellers on August 17, 2015, 03:37:57 pm
What about the Hassy 60-120 via adapter?
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: tochnia on August 17, 2015, 05:40:48 pm
How much does it cost firmware upgrade of 105-210mm lens?
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Paul2660 on August 17, 2015, 05:52:43 pm
It did not cost me anything, I sent the lens to the old MAC group, which used to service Mamiya products in the US.  MAC group is now gone, at least I have been told they no longer service Mamiya in the US.  I guess any Phase One dealer can upgrade the lens.  You have to have the V grip on a DF or DF+ to upgrade any firmware.

(It did cost me the shipping and insurance) but no labor.

Paul
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: cyron123 on August 30, 2015, 05:22:45 pm
The 75-150mm D need a firmware update? Never heard this...
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Paul2660 on August 30, 2015, 05:35:57 pm
You may not need it but most of the modern Mamiya glass have lens firmware.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=2221&languageid=1



Some of the 28mm, 105-210mm, and the 75-150 all do. I am sure on these as I had to send off all of them at one time or another.

Pretty sure the Phase One eqvilents do too

Paul

Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: cyron123 on September 01, 2015, 03:32:53 am
Hello Paul,
WOW. This is new to me. But in the call they talk about the Mamiya AFI to III, or not?
I dont know
Best
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Paul2660 on September 01, 2015, 08:37:18 am
Good question, as I was having trouble with the DF.  My 28 Mamiya had to go back 3 or 4 times over the course of 2 years, Mamiya finally swapped lenses with me as the AF would just quite working and the aperture would lock closed down. 

My 75-150 was serial number within the range, so I just went ahead and had it updated.  I still have a DF+ for now and the 75-150 works OK with it.  However I may have to updated the firmware on the lens when I move to the XF.

Paul
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Mike Sellers on September 02, 2015, 09:42:59 am
Paul,
I see there are two versions of the 75-150 zoom- the Phase One made by Schneider and the Mamiya 75-150mm F/4.5 D. Is the Mamiya the one you use?
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Paul2660 on September 02, 2015, 10:45:05 am
Hi Mike

I have the Mamiya D version non leaf shutter.
Phase has both the LS and non LS.

Optically all the versions Mamiya and Phase are the same even the LS version.

Paul
Title: Re: Mamiya Zoom Lens Quality
Post by: Jack Varney on September 02, 2015, 10:48:37 pm
How much does it cost firmware upgrade of 105-210mm lens?

I just had a 105-210 upgraded to operate on my DF+. Cost is $360.