Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 15, 2015, 01:15:54 pm

Title: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 15, 2015, 01:15:54 pm
Processed in PTGUI Pro. Surprising (or not) how much better it is than either Photoshop or Lightroom panorama and HDR modes.

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/766/20605603281_1caba61ce8_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/xoR6Y6)
Dallas Skyline at Moonrise (https://flic.kr/p/xoR6Y6) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 15, 2015, 03:10:02 pm
A detail (click on it):
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: RSL on August 15, 2015, 05:17:47 pm
Very nice, Slobodan.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 15, 2015, 06:07:14 pm
Very nice, Slobodan.
+1.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Mjollnir on August 15, 2015, 07:46:02 pm
You.  Magnificent.  Bastard.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: David Eckels on August 15, 2015, 09:51:35 pm
Wonderful photograph, but I have to say the "ADvancial" lettering ruins it. I know it's artistic choice, but, frankly, I'd clone it out. What do you think and why?
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 15, 2015, 10:43:27 pm
Wonderful photograph, but I have to say the "ADvancial" lettering ruins it. I know it's artistic choice, but, frankly, I'd clone it out. What do you think and why?

I actually agree, Dave, just find it difficult to clone it out. Probably easy on a small-size as seen here, but on a full-size file any intervention would be quite noticeable. Maybe if I do some serious PS acrobatics, e.g., copying the perpendicular side, and then morph it to match the front side, etc.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: mezzoduomo on August 16, 2015, 11:31:07 am
You.  Magnificent.  Bastard.

Slobodan,
Congrats on the well-deserved Flickr recognition for this fine picture! This helps prove the case that there is indeed some excellent photography on Flickr.  ;D
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 16, 2015, 12:51:28 pm
Wonderful. The building over to the left seems almost transparent.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 16, 2015, 07:18:33 pm
A link to 500px  (https://500px.com/photo/118505669/dallas-skyline-at-moonrise-by-slobodan-blagojevic?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=738464) where it can be seen larger than here or on Flickr (especially if you expand your browser into a full-screen mode).
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 17, 2015, 04:18:53 pm
Good image, even without the moon.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: francois on August 18, 2015, 03:40:34 am
Good image, even without the moon.


Agreed, the Moon doesn't bring much, at least in this small size.

Very nice photo, by the way, bravo!
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Mjollnir on August 18, 2015, 04:08:42 pm
Agreed, the Moon doesn't bring much, at least in this small size.

Very nice photo, by the way, bravo!

I think in this case it works (the moon, that is) because there's a LOT to take in in the picture, and once one actually does find the moon, it makes it stand out all the more, despite the size.

It did for me, in any case.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: MattBurt on August 18, 2015, 04:43:45 pm
Love the photo although it took me a moment to find the moon and I agree it doesn't add much. Good thing the rest of the shot doesn't need much!

To really feature the moon a telephoto panorama could make it nice and big as well as eliminating the writing. Assuming you could be in this location for another full moon, that is.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 18, 2015, 05:01:10 pm
There is certainly a possibility to crop the existing one, something like this. Just not sure if the overall impression is better or worse? Even without enlarging it, the moon becomes more visible by the virtue of eliminating distracting foreground.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: MattBurt on August 18, 2015, 05:49:13 pm
After seeing the crop I think I prefer the wider one because of the lines. The crop just seems unbalanced. The original is probably as good as that shot can be, which is very good!
But I'd love to see a tele version one day if you can ever get a chance to do it again. With a big giant moon peeking between the buildings. Even if that's cliche.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: David Eckels on August 19, 2015, 08:09:38 pm
I actually agree, Dave, just find it difficult to clone it out. Probably easy on a small-size as seen here, but on a full-size file any intervention would be quite noticeable. Maybe if I do some serious PS acrobatics, e.g., copying the perpendicular side, and then morph it to match the front side, etc.
Yeah. On the other hand, it does add to the "sense of place." Again, wonderful!
Follow up: What about just taking the level of the white lettering down a bit? I know you've thought about these things. And by the way, I like the original for that lovely curved avenue in the left of frame.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 20, 2015, 02:08:33 am
... Follow up: What about just taking the level of the white lettering down a bit?...

Tried that too. Actually, it is already down (from the level that would correspond to the brightness of the rest of the image). However, there is a certain level of brightness that we expect to see from those neon signs, and bellow that they start to look dull, lifeless and ultimately unreal.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 02, 2015, 10:39:24 am
Speaking of cropping out the sign, I discovered that this crop works for me when I was trying to create a screen saver for me, i.e., 16:9 format:
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Bruce Cox on September 02, 2015, 11:09:50 am
I like this much better.  

The building with green out-line to the right was a very tempting addition to the scene.  In retrospect, it seems to have been not only a little too far but too bright to be on an edge, as well.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: TwistedShadow on September 03, 2015, 08:51:49 pm
Slobodan,
Congrats on the well-deserved Flickr recognition for this fine picture! This helps prove the case that there is indeed some excellent photography on Flickr.  ;D

Outstanding capture! Any chance you can hook a guy up with the shooting location?

Anyhow, I agree with the company name being annoying and trying to clone it out...But, I wonder if you could pitch the photo to ADvancial? I mean it's a really nice shot and would look cool in some ADvancial CEO/CFO's office.
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 03, 2015, 09:59:37 pm
Outstanding capture! Any chance you can hook a guy up with the shooting location?...

My friend's balcony, 25th floor :)
Title: Re: Dallas Skyline at Moonrise
Post by: TwistedShadow on September 03, 2015, 11:41:46 pm
My friend's balcony, 25th floor :)

Lucky  8)

We used to have an apartment in uptown with a nice downtown view. It was fun taking photos sunrise and sunset all the time.