Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: tom b on August 15, 2015, 12:41:14 pm

Title: Thematic Pictures - Magnum Photos
Post by: tom b on August 15, 2015, 12:41:14 pm
What is a thematic picture (https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Thematic+Pictures+-+Magnum+Photos)? Magnum seems to have defined a whole new category of photography that I have never heard of before!

Cheers,
Title: Re: Thematic Pictures - Magnum Photos
Post by: Rand47 on August 15, 2015, 09:57:39 pm
What is a thematic picture (https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Thematic+Pictures+-+Magnum+Photos)? Magnum seems to have defined a whole new category of photography that I have never heard of before!

Cheers,

Tom,

In looking at the link, I would say it is more a "way to categorize" images than "a new category" of images.

Rand
Title: Re: Thematic Pictures - Magnum Photos
Post by: RSL on August 16, 2015, 05:27:49 pm
Exactly. If you're old enough to remember Life Magazine you'll know that every time they did a photo spread, the main opening page pic would be thematic. In other words, it set the theme for the article.