Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Travis Wallace on August 15, 2015, 01:51:31 am

Title: Recommend me a good vacuum cleaner and blower for my 9890 printers
Post by: Travis Wallace on August 15, 2015, 01:51:31 am
I have a 16 month old 9890 and another one I just bought last week that I need to keep clean. So I need some advice since I took the first 9890 for granted and am having serious banding issues that I don't want to repeat in the new one. I have seen a Metro Vac on Amazon but not familiar with the brand. Can anyone share their experience and/or recommend me another brand? Thanks.
Title: Re: Recommend me a good vacuum cleaner and blower for my 9890 printers
Post by: Jeff-Grant on August 15, 2015, 02:51:20 am
I have one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599911-REG/METRO_DataVac_ED_500_DataVac_Electric_Duster_Model.html

It works a treat.
Title: Re: Recommend me a good vacuum cleaner and blower for my 9890 printers
Post by: PeterAit on August 15, 2015, 09:25:31 am
I would be very hesitant to use a blower on the printer mechanism. I can't help but think it might blow crud into places it really should not be.

You might try keeping the printer covered with a sheet of clear plastic all the time. You can print (roll paper) and use the control panel with the plastic in place.
Title: Re: Recommend me a good vacuum cleaner and blower for my 9890 printers
Post by: Ken Doo on August 15, 2015, 10:17:12 am
I use a Dirt Devil Scorpion on my 9900 and 9890. Powerful and perfect for cleaning media dust/debris from the top paper deck and surrounding areas.  http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Devil-Scorpion-Handheld-SD20005RED/dp/B002D47XOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439647882&sr=8-1&keywords=dirt+devil+scorpion  I chose the corded model for power and concern over power loss associated with cordless vacuums. Long nozzle is perfect for keeping distance while sucking up spiders.  ;D.  Better battery tech is out and I'm eyeing this one from Black and Decker:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LXOJC0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2Q6OQTV1EPVPQ&coliid=I11XCMNEZB0GXW

Opening the front printer door and giving the inside of the print an occasional damp cloth wipe down is a good idea also.

ken
Title: Re: Recommend me a good vacuum cleaner and blower for my 9890 printers
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on August 15, 2015, 05:10:05 pm
I have one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599911-REG/METRO_DataVac_ED_500_DataVac_Electric_Duster_Model.html

It works a treat.
+1!  I have one and use it to keep all my computers clean as a whistle.  I've also used it on my 3880 to blow what little dust there is out (I keep it covered except for printing).  this is really a great unit and puts out a huge force of air.
Title: Re: Recommend me a good vacuum cleaner and blower for my 9890 printers
Post by: Roscolo on August 16, 2015, 04:04:35 pm
The Black & Decker someone posted is the old model, only 16volt. I have this one. It's 20 volt and much better (more suction):

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDH2000PL-Lithium-20-volt/dp/B00IOEFBKS/



Title: Re: Recommend me a good vacuum cleaner and blower for my 9890 printers
Post by: Travis Wallace on September 12, 2015, 11:15:09 am
Would this be overkill?

http://www.amazon.com/Metropolitan-Vac-Blo-Compact-Vacuum/dp/B0002SDN7W