Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: chuckn on August 13, 2015, 06:38:35 pm

Title: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: chuckn on August 13, 2015, 06:38:35 pm
Continuing with the theme of "Emergence" on the Oregon Coast, here is the last image in a set of three. I'm not sure which one I like best, B&W or Color (I'm leaning toward the B&W). What do you all think?

Chuck.
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: luxborealis on August 13, 2015, 06:44:10 pm
The blue hues in the colour version are gorgeous, but their beauty is offset by the colour of the growth (moss?) on the top of the foreground rock. The B&W version has the beautiful tones above the horizon without the top of the foreground rock detracting from them - so, I'd go B&W, but I would also try another colour version with the mossy tones desaturated (not completely, though).
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 13, 2015, 07:57:42 pm
My vote is for the BW. Quite fine.
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 14, 2015, 03:46:10 am
I prefer the colour one, for the following reasons:

1. The moss is not distracting to me, in fact, it adds a bit of life to the scene;

2. The tip of the background rock is more visible. In the B&W version, I think this rock is too dark, for example compared to the foreground one.

3. The colour tones are wonderful.

Both fine images.
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: francois on August 14, 2015, 05:36:46 am
I like them both but I find the vignetting a bit too strong, especially for the top of the image (B&W and color). It seems that the horizon is not level but not by much.

In the end, I've got no favorite, both are sublime.
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: thierrylegros396 on August 14, 2015, 10:35:13 am
I prefer the colour one, for the following reasons:

1. The moss is not distracting to me, in fact, it adds a bit of life to the scene;

2. The tip of the background rock is more visible. In the B&W version, I think this rock is too dark, for example compared to the foreground one.

3. The colour tones are wonderful.

Both fine images.

+1

Thierry
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: BradSmith on August 15, 2015, 03:10:55 pm
Chuck,
These are wonderful.  Do you have exposure info you could share?  Did you use an ND filter to be able to capture the long exposure time?
thanks
Brad
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: brandtb on August 16, 2015, 09:32:05 am
The color version a very nice image. I would try bringing up the tip of the rock in bg a little so it doesn't get buried in the dark sky...I think you need to see the termination of that shape
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: Peter McLennan on August 17, 2015, 10:00:55 pm
I would try bringing up the tip of the rock in bg a little so it doesn't get buried in the dark sky...I think you need to see the termination of that shape

+1
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: rgs on August 18, 2015, 02:33:15 pm
After years of working in 4x5 and the zone system, I generally do not like digital B&W because it often seems not to have the quality of silver prints. This one is different. I really like the B&W because the lake of color emphasizes the shapes and tones of the image as well as the very abstract nature of the shot. In the B&W, I also like the very dark background rock and the moody vignette.

In color, the vignette seems too strong to me and the color (really nice colors BTW) makes me not see the abstraction quite so well. It also lacks the moody quality of the B&W.

Both are nice but my vote is for the B&W
Title: Re: Emergence 3 (Oregon Coast)
Post by: Kiwi Paul on August 19, 2015, 12:21:46 pm
The blue hues in the colour version are gorgeous, but their beauty is offset by the colour of the growth (moss?) on the top of the foreground rock.......... but I would also try another colour version with the mossy tones desaturated (not completely, though).

A agree with this comment

Paul