Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on August 12, 2015, 09:42:03 am

Title: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: BobDavid on August 12, 2015, 09:42:03 am
I shot this scene last night during the "blue hour" to test out the Oly 7-14mm f/2.8 Pro. The horizon line was framed dead-center--I cropped some  sky out of the picture. Yesterday's sunset was not particularly interesting (by Florida standards), though the sea (gulf) was fairly calm. I don 't want to burden this forum with tech talk, but I've got to report that the UWA Oly zoom sparkles. I think it is at least on par with the Nikon 14-24mm. I originally posted this photo in the "compact camera" forum, but I am interested to get feedback on this. Does it stand on its own as something more than just another pretty picture? It is a lot simpler than my current work...
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: wmchauncey on August 12, 2015, 10:37:24 am
Give it another try without the cloud cover.
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: BobDavid on August 12, 2015, 03:25:28 pm
Give it another try without the cloud cover.

Definitely.
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 12, 2015, 05:25:17 pm
I'm itching to see it uncropped, with the horizon dead center, separating chaos (the sky) from peace (the water), and thumbing your nose at the "Rule of Thirds."

It definitely sets up sky versus water, so why not give them equal space.

Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: BobDavid on August 12, 2015, 05:40:00 pm
I'm itching to see it uncropped, with the horizon dead center, separating chaos (the sky) from peace (the water), and thumbing your nose at the "Rule of Thirds."

It definitely sets up sky versus water, so why not give them equal space.


Sure, I'll put it up. I hear what you're saying about the "rule of thirds." Being an iconoclast, it's always fun to break art rules.
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 12, 2015, 08:30:07 pm
Sure, I'll put it up. I hear what you're saying about the "rule of thirds." Being an iconoclast, it's always fun to break art rules.
I figured that would get you.   ;)
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: David Eckels on August 15, 2015, 09:45:12 pm
I'm itching to see it uncropped, with the horizon dead center, separating chaos (the sky) from peace (the water), and thumbing your nose at the "Rule of Thirds."

It definitely sets up sky versus water, so why not give them equal space.


Yup
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: BobDavid on August 15, 2015, 11:56:17 pm
Here is the FF.
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 16, 2015, 02:56:07 pm
Now why don't you apply the rule of thirds...   :D

Just kidding. I love it just the way it is now.
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: RSL on August 16, 2015, 03:01:24 pm
The test was a success, Bob.
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: Telecaster on August 16, 2015, 04:35:15 pm
Here is the FF.

With a clear sky this scene should look minimalist-lovely. All tone, no texture.  :)

-Dave-
Title: Re: Maybe this is more than just a test frame
Post by: BobDavid on August 16, 2015, 05:58:35 pm
With a clear sky this scene should look minimalist-lovely. All tone, no texture.  :)

-Dave-

I'll eventually make that photo; everything is contingent on the weather. It's rainy in Florida this time of year, so the blue hour sky is usually partly cloudy. The evening sky clears up around October.