Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: BobDavid on August 12, 2015, 01:11:28 am

Title: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: BobDavid on August 12, 2015, 01:11:28 am
First time I've had the chance to use the 7-14mm Pro zoom. I like it. This was shot @ 7mm. The horizon line is free of distortion.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Kevin Raber on August 12, 2015, 06:53:23 am
Beautiful lens, review coming soon.

Kevin Raber
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on August 12, 2015, 07:42:59 am
 Not enough blue in the shot bob  ;)
 Just kidding' well done


Kevin in CT
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: BobDavid on August 12, 2015, 09:24:23 am
Looking forward to the review. I cropped out a bit of the top of the sky; the horizon line was dead-center. I am every bit as happy with this lens as I was with the Nikon 14-24mm. I've no regrets over migrating to M43.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: stamper on August 12, 2015, 09:39:41 am
Someone willing to buy me one? I like what it has produced. :)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Guillermo Luijk on August 16, 2015, 05:38:00 am
Looking forward to the review. I cropped out a bit of the top of the sky; the horizon line was dead-center. I am every bit as happy with this lens as I was with the Nikon 14-24mm. I've no regrets over migrating to M43.

Any lens is 100% free of geometric distortion in any straight line crossing the centre of the image, like your horizon. This applies even to fisheye lenses :)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: BobDavid on August 16, 2015, 05:17:29 pm
Any lens is 100% free of geometric distortion in any straight line crossing the centre of the image, like your horizon. This applies even to fisheye lenses :)

I respectfully disagree. I've used a number of modern lenses over the years that show distortion. Due to the design of many fisheye lenses, it's not surprising that it is possible to get a "virtually" straight horizon.

With UWA zoom lenses, switch a grid on in Photoshop and see if the horizon lines up perfectly even with the grid. My erstwhile Nikon 14-24mm lens was very close, but not perfect. And that lens is highly regarded. The worst lens I recall using was the Canon 24-105 L.

Both of the pictures were shot at 7mm. The top one is handheld; I wanted to see if I could line up the top of the rails so they'd lay along same axis.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on September 01, 2015, 07:18:43 pm
I have received my zoom lens a few days ago which I am using on a GX7
I am not very concerned about the horizon as I can see that some distortions are common in large wide angles.
I moved from full Canon frame with L lenses because they were too heavy and the m4/3 is a beauty.
The image herewith was made on 7mm
(http://www.antoniocorreia.com/photos/i-RdzRMmW/0/X2/i-RdzRMmW-X2.jpg)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: PeterAit on September 02, 2015, 11:28:05 am
Yes, it's a very nice lens. It does have distortion, but that won't show up on a horizon that bisects the image. Yet, when the distortion is evident, it can be readily fixed in software. Great photos, too - just my sort of subject.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: GLJ on September 03, 2015, 03:24:38 pm
I respectfully disagree. I've used a number of modern lenses over the years that show distortion.

I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing some examples from ANY lens where a straight horizon/line bisecting the image directly in the middle as shown causes distortion!
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on September 03, 2015, 07:14:29 pm
Yes, it's a very nice lens. It does have distortion, but that won't show up on a horizon that bisects the image. Yet, when the distortion is evident, it can be readily fixed in software. Great photos, too - just my sort of subject.

Thank you Peter ! :)
I will post more within the next days. I hope :)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: EinstStein on September 07, 2015, 08:16:28 pm
First time I've had the chance to use the 7-14mm Pro zoom. I like it. This was shot @ 7mm. The horizon line is free of distortion.

Look at the cloud on the two sides, it look like the cloud has a center somewhere in the middle of the top half plan. It indicates a strong distortion.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: stamper on September 08, 2015, 03:03:05 am
Could it be the earth's curvature?
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: BobDavid on September 09, 2015, 10:01:00 am
That's how ultra wide angle lenses "see." You'd get the same effect with a Nikon 14-24 and the Canon 11-24 too. Physics.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on September 09, 2015, 10:07:26 am
Perspective deformation caused by wide angle lens.
From my Bakery Photographic Project (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103593.0)

(http://www.antoniocorreia.com/photos/i-6hn2HKP/0/X2/i-6hn2HKP-X2.jpg)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Guillermo Luijk on September 09, 2015, 10:27:54 am
That's how ultra wide angle lenses "see." You'd get the same effect with a Nikon 14-24 and the Canon 11-24 too. Physics.

A straight line that intersects the centre of the frame remains linear on its projection over the sensor, even in fisheye lenses, because of the rotational symmetry lenses are built.

(http://www.arrirental.de/uploads/media/import_what_is_rectilinear_what_is_fisheye_zoom_c02_head.jpg)


The only Physics about your horizons is that the Earth is not flat.

Regards
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: BobDavid on September 11, 2015, 08:52:23 am
A straight line that intersects the centre of the frame remains linear on its projection over the sensor, even in fisheye lenses, because of the rotational symmetry lenses are built.

(http://www.arrirental.de/uploads/media/import_what_is_rectilinear_what_is_fisheye_zoom_c02_head.jpg)


The only Physics about your horizons is that the Earth is not flat.

Regards

I see a difference between rectilinear vs. fisheye. I'll agree to disagree.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Guillermo Luijk on September 11, 2015, 10:57:34 am
In fact there is a big diference since the fisheye is a lens with radial changing focal length which turns straight lines into curved ones, EXCEPT for the lines crossing the centre of the frame. These remain linear which is what matters in the bent horizons discussion.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on September 11, 2015, 11:17:11 am
17mm f/2.8

(http://www.antoniocorreia.com/photos/i-9cM554c/0/X2/i-9cM554c-X2.jpg)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on September 11, 2015, 11:40:59 am
Photograph only worked in LR
9mm f/2.8 Superb lens !

(http://www.antoniocorreia.com/photos/i-R6xkgxc/0/X2/i-R6xkgxc-X2.jpg)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: speedyk on October 05, 2015, 01:22:06 pm
Photograph only worked in LR
9mm f/2.8 Superb lens !

(http://www.antoniocorreia.com/photos/i-R6xkgxc/0/X2/i-R6xkgxc-X2.jpg)

Lovely shot! Obviously the lens doesn't let you down wen you need it.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on October 05, 2015, 01:47:50 pm
Thank you !  :)
It is a great lens indeed. I do like it ! Pretty expensive also !  :-\

From my project "Professions" http://www.antoniocorreia.com/Black-and-White/Professions/Bakers/

(http://www.antoniocorreia.com/photos/i-wQLv6vQ/0/X2/i-wQLv6vQ-X2.jpg)
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Leo Bhaskara on October 05, 2015, 06:49:10 pm
Thank you !  :)
It is a great lens indeed. I do like it ! Pretty expensive also !  :-\

From my project "Professions" http://www.antoniocorreia.com/Black-and-White/Professions/Bakers/

-- deleted pic --
Awesome pics, Antonio! It's amazing to see what you can do with such a lightweight lens.
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on October 05, 2015, 07:01:24 pm
Leo... it is not that lightweight !
It is about half a kilogram as far as I can remember...
(http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_M_Zuiko_Digital_7-14mm_f2-8/images/Olympus_and_Lumix_7-14mm_745.jpg)
Image from http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_M_Zuiko_Digital_7-14mm_f2-8/
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Leo Bhaskara on October 05, 2015, 07:47:33 pm
I mean, compared to my Nikkor 14-24mm that I never use anymore,
the lens is much lighter, don't you think so? ;D

The MFT system is indeed very tempting, hmm..
Title: Re: Oly 7-14 Pro
Post by: Antonio Correia on October 06, 2015, 04:47:33 am
Oh yes it is indeed.
I moved from Canon 5D and 3 red ring lens. My backs thanked me ! If you know what I mean :)
I have a Panasonic GX7 but I am very found of the Olympus 5 II which is much the same size.
Thank you for commenting ! :)