Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: polaris-14 on August 10, 2015, 01:43:13 pm

Title: Grand Teton & Yellowstone Fall Colors
Post by: polaris-14 on August 10, 2015, 01:43:13 pm
I am planning a trip to both Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP from 9/11 - 9/19 this year. I am hoping to catch some Fall colors during that trip. I know that on average the color peaks on the third week of September but that's the only week that work with my schedule. Maybe someone here can share their experience or expertise in this issue, what drives the color peaking? Looking at the weather report, I saw a lower than average temperature this year so I secretly wish the color will also peak earlier. Is that too much of an expectation?  Is there any prognosis for the Fall color this year somewhere?

Thanks!
Title: Re: Grand Teton & Yellowstone Fall Colors
Post by: DeanChriss on August 10, 2015, 02:03:55 pm
The time of peak color can vary drastically from year to year. Last year peak color occurred around the 2nd to 3rd week of September and was completely gone by the end of the month. Years prior to that it was optimal in the first week of October and even a little later than that. When you need to make plans far in advance, hitting peak color anywhere is more a matter of luck than anything else. When I miss I usually photograph wildlife instead, or just go somewhere else like Yellowstone.
Title: Re: Grand Teton & Yellowstone Fall Colors
Post by: DaveJ on August 10, 2015, 07:49:44 pm
You may be OK with those dates; I will be there Sept 16-24. My bigger concern is smoke/haze from wildfires. When I was there that same time of the month in 2013 we didn't see the Tetons for 3 days due to heavy smoke from fires in Idaho. Some roads in the northern part of Yellowstone were also closed due to fires. Like you, I have to schedule trips like this months in advance and you just have to hope you get lucky.
Dave Jolley
Title: Re: Grand Teton & Yellowstone Fall Colors
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 10, 2015, 08:25:04 pm
This one was taken on October 9th, 2007:

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3283/2612155878_3734314925_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/4YPYWj)
Grand Teton National Park, Oxbow Bend (https://flic.kr/p/4YPYWj) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Grand Teton & Yellowstone Fall Colors
Post by: polaris-14 on August 11, 2015, 04:29:46 pm
The time of peak color can vary drastically from year to year. Last year peak color occurred around the 2nd to 3rd week of September and was completely gone by the end of the month. Years prior to that it was optimal in the first week of October and even a little later than that. When you need to make plans far in advance, hitting peak color anywhere is more a matter of luck than anything else. When I miss I usually photograph wildlife instead, or just go somewhere else like Yellowstone.

You may be OK with those dates; I will be there Sept 16-24. My bigger concern is smoke/haze from wildfires. When I was there that same time of the month in 2013 we didn't see the Tetons for 3 days due to heavy smoke from fires in Idaho. Some roads in the northern part of Yellowstone were also closed due to fires. Like you, I have to schedule trips like this months in advance and you just have to hope you get lucky.
Dave Jolley

I am hoping that this year it will be the same this year. I am sure Dave shares the same sentiment. I am not sure if aspens will have a brighter color with the drought in the area. Regardless, I will probably give the park a call before I head there.

Dave, I hope our paths cross there! :)

This one was taken on October 9th, 2007:

Slobodan, that's so beautiful. Hopefully we will see the same thing this year.
Title: Re: Grand Teton & Yellowstone Fall Colors
Post by: sailronin on August 12, 2015, 04:28:29 pm
Lovely work Slobodan

Our last visit was August 2014, too early for the colors, by mid Sept you should be fine.
Title: Re: Grand Teton & Yellowstone Fall Colors
Post by: b2martin on August 13, 2015, 11:56:25 am
Smoke was an issue this summer and with the increased number of fires I think it could to bad in the fall.