Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Chris1977 on August 08, 2015, 03:50:45 pm

Title: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: Chris1977 on August 08, 2015, 03:50:45 pm
I'm relatively new to MFD and am in the market for a Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO, what seems to be a fair price for this lens? (the pre-D version). Thankful for your input.
Cheers,
Chris
Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: rhern213 on August 09, 2015, 01:34:14 am
About $500-600 seems to be the going rate for the auto aperture non-D versions.
Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: alexluuphoto on August 09, 2015, 05:39:24 am
im sorry for noob question, but i how many versions of the 120mm macro are there?

There is the new schneider LS version coming out
the 120mm macro f4D version which is for the newer ones

I noticed that there is a "A" version of this lens which rounds roughly around 270-400 dollars
Then the "AF" version which is 500-1000 dollars.

Was thinking of doing the same thing the op was doing and grabbing a cheaper manual focus 120mm macro which apparently the new one is also MF
Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: rhern213 on August 09, 2015, 11:07:24 am
There are 4 versions.

1. M645 Fully Manual Aperture/Focus
2. AF Manual Focus
3. AF-D Manual Focus
4. Fully Auto LS
Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: Chris1977 on August 10, 2015, 09:45:56 am
Thank you for the feedback, that was my feeling.
Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: tochnia on August 11, 2015, 04:36:51 am
There is another version (should be betweend 3. and 4. above) Mamiya which is 120mm AF /Auto-Focus/ without LS.

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/mamiya_800_59300a_f4_0_120mm_af_macro_981869.jpg)

I have bough the AF-D Manual Focus version for 500 Euros here in forum /bear in mind it is quite big size lens/.
Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: Chris1977 on August 11, 2015, 05:23:59 am
Thanks, I'm not worried about the size to much, my everyday lens is the 40-80mm so I'm used to bigger lenses ;) If you ever want to sell yours, let me know.
Cheers,
Chris
Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: rhern213 on August 12, 2015, 08:12:42 pm
Wow I've been reading about the 120 for a long time and never read a single thing regarding an Auto Focus without LS, good catch!

There is another version (should be betweend 3. and 4. above) Mamiya which is 120mm AF /Auto-Focus/ without LS.

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/mamiya_800_59300a_f4_0_120mm_af_macro_981869.jpg)

I have bough the AF-D Manual Focus version for 500 Euros here in forum /bear in mind it is quite big size lens/.

Title: Re: Fair price for Mamiya 645 AF 120mm F4 MACRO
Post by: Doug Peterson on August 13, 2015, 09:34:23 am
Wow I've been reading about the 120 for a long time and never read a single thing regarding an Auto Focus without LS, good catch!


I might selfishly suggest you work with an experienced/specialized dealer. We can name every one of these lenses off the top of our head. I'm always surprised at how much time some clients (not necessarily you, since I don't know you, but for sure others that I've dealt with) will bang their head against the wall for hours on google when I (or a tech at another experienced/specialized dealer) could have answered their question immediately, and answered the questions they didn't know yet to ask.

The 120D AF was made in two brandings: Mamiya 120mm AF D and Phase One 120mm AF D (https://digitaltransitions.com/product/focal-plane-lenses). Those are the same lenses. Same thing with the two brandings of the 120mm MF D.

There is also a 120mm TS lens which can be used for macro with the addition of extension tubes, but for a number of usability reasons we don't normally recommend this lens.