Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: rgs on August 06, 2015, 06:03:21 pm

Title: Wichita Mountains
Post by: rgs on August 06, 2015, 06:03:21 pm
Here are some images from the 90s. They are scans of 4x5 negs. The Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge is in SW Oklahoma. It's an absolutely beautiful but very rugged place. Hope everyone enjoys them. As always. comments are gratefully received. Enjoy!
Title: Re: Wichita Mountains
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on August 07, 2015, 04:35:53 am
My favourites are #1 (for the curving branch) and #4.
Title: Re: Wichita Mountains
Post by: Professional on August 11, 2015, 08:53:14 am
Nice images!!!

So which 4x5 camera and lens did you use and which film? scanner?
Title: Re: Wichita Mountains
Post by: rgs on August 11, 2015, 12:36:09 pm
Nice images!!!

So which 4x5 camera and lens did you use and which film? scanner?

Thanks so much. Starting with what I am most sure of, they were scanned with an Epson v700 using Silverfast AI and multi-scanning to smooth noise and increase dMax. They are almost certainly tri-x (I rarely used anything else) processed in trays with HC-110 (although Rodinal is possible - it was my favorite for roll film). All were shot with a wooden field camera made by a photographer/custom furniture maker friend of mine. He built it for himself and then bought a Wista to study. He decided he could not improve on the Wista so I got his prototype - "The Baker Custom View". The third one was shot with  Kodak 152 mm Ektar salvaged from an old Crown Graphic bought at an estate sale. The other three I am less sure of but they were probably shot with a 210mm Caltar from Calumet.   
Title: Re: Wichita Mountains
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 11, 2015, 12:42:11 pm
Lovely images, atrocious watermark ;)
Title: Re: Wichita Mountains
Post by: rgs on August 11, 2015, 01:13:22 pm
Thanks, Slobodan. I agree about that watermark on B&W. That little bit of bright color is just garish. I probably should have left it off.