Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 05, 2015, 11:10:27 pm

Title: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 05, 2015, 11:10:27 pm
A detail of an incredibly beautiful, modern church in Dallas, TX:

(https://farm1.staticflickr.com/482/19711481753_dcb7a788ea_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/w2QuMF)
First Baptist Church - Dallas (https://flic.kr/p/w2QuMF) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 06, 2015, 12:12:22 am
Man, you do find the most interesting and colorful buildings.
Another great shot!
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 06, 2015, 12:47:08 pm
 In case you've been wondering... this is the church in context. Or a good part of it, as it spans both sides of the street:
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: mbaginy on August 06, 2015, 01:20:05 pm
Man, you do find the most interesting and colorful buildings.
Another great shot!
+1
Exactly my thoughts!
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: DF1 on August 06, 2015, 02:09:36 pm
Very nice.
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: LesPalenik on August 07, 2015, 07:47:43 am
Beautiful building, and an intriguing composition.
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: BobDavid on August 07, 2015, 10:04:02 am
You really nailed the shot. "Architectural Detail" sparkles.
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: RSL on August 07, 2015, 11:16:22 am
+1
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: Mjollnir on August 07, 2015, 01:12:34 pm
Very nice!

I've been to Dallas numerous times (I married into a Dallas family) and have often thought how awesome it would be just to wander around downtown for architectural shots.  Family has always got in the way of that so far.

Great comps, relatively small area (compared to L.A., in any case) and easy to get around.

I'm rather jealous, I must say.
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: seamus finn on August 07, 2015, 03:04:14 pm
Man, you do find the most interesting and colorful buildings.
Another great shot!


+1
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: pcgpcg on August 07, 2015, 06:56:49 pm
Very well seen. Just gorgeous!
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: drmike on August 10, 2015, 02:48:26 am
Stunning location and well captured. It's all geometry and a lot of it. I did wonder if you need the bottom curve as the strong rectangles of the windows and the bold sweep of colour are very strong. But if I start covering things up then the image is weaker. Did you take other shots where less is more?

Mike
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: MattBurt on August 10, 2015, 10:24:53 am
Wow, that is an impressive building well captured. So sparkly!
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 10, 2015, 04:53:39 pm
... Did you take other shots where less is more?

I did. Though it was a constant fight with the oncoming traffic (the best vantage points being, of course, in the middle of the road), mid-day harsh light, and a friend who was waiting, bored to death, with a what-the-hell-are-you-seeing-in-it expression on his face.
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: drmike on August 10, 2015, 05:24:29 pm
You risked all for art :)

It's a very complex structure and being circular it presents the usual issues about how to frame it.

Although these three are good I think the first is most balanced as the coolness of the lower glass balances the vivid colours above. Maybe in the first one a square crop to lose the windows on the very left?

A very interesting challenge. I wish I could be there to try but I can't.

Mike
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on August 10, 2015, 05:50:50 pm
... Although these three are good I think the first is most balanced...

That's my feeling too, and not just for these. I often force myself to "work the scene," but more often than not it turns out that the first impression was the strongest one.
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: drmike on August 11, 2015, 02:25:44 am
In my own way I find that very often the first shots are the most successful, which makes me wonder are some people hard wired to see the successful composition while others need time to review and analyse? Martin Parr springs to mind. Many of his shots must be an intuitive response rather than analysed and yet they seem to be well composed.
Title: Re: Been to Dallas - an Architectural Detail
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on August 11, 2015, 01:14:02 pm
Usually my intuitive mind is a much better photographer than is my analytical mind. From time to time I catch a "winner," and then think I can improve on it. When my analytic mind takes over, often the result is simply pedantic and boring.

However, I do believe that the analysis prepares me better for the next time intuition sees something worth snapping.

YMMV.