Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: cortlander on August 01, 2015, 03:32:40 pm

Title: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: cortlander on August 01, 2015, 03:32:40 pm
Great, after I purchased it...

https://www.itsupplies.com/uploads/product/55868/files/SureColorP800-150-EA684-C50275.pdf
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: printbreakr on August 01, 2015, 03:58:34 pm
Excellent! This might push me over the fence on a P800.

---

"This rebate offer applies only to qualifying purchases of the product model listed on this coupon when product is purchased
and delivered in the U.S. or Puerto Rico between August 1, 2015 and August 31, 2015."

I didn't know Puerto Rico had become and independent country. Epson should update Washington on this.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: hokuahi on August 01, 2015, 04:29:48 pm
Wow.. definitely lowers my opinion of Epson, having purchased mine in July. Seems kind of early in the game for rebates, unless the P800 isn't selling.. Knowing them I doubt if they'll make it like a 30 day price match.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: dwswager on August 01, 2015, 06:15:59 pm
Wow.. definitely lowers my opinion of Epson, having purchased mine in July. Seems kind of early in the game for rebates, unless the P800 isn't selling.. Knowing them I doubt if they'll make it like a 30 day price match.

This is silly.  It is never good to be an early adopter!  No one is going to rebate a product out of the gate. 

While there are some improvements over the 3880, there are also some feature losses as well and almost no one is going to be able to tell the prints apart.  The print improvements are just too small.  Which is why I used the $300 rebate to get a new 3880 just before the P800 was released.

Hell, I'm waiting on the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release, hoping I can snag a Note 4 at a significant discount.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: John Caldwell on August 01, 2015, 08:16:05 pm
Wow.. definitely lowers my opinion of Epson, having purchased mine in July.

What is it about a price reduction, after you happened to have bought at full price, that lowers your opinion of Epson?

I'm weary of Epson's reliability problems, perhaps like you, as I own both 4900 and 9900 machines. But your remark comes across as not business savvy with regard to your being entitled to something special here. No?

John Caldwell
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: hokuahi on August 01, 2015, 08:34:40 pm
No. I don't feel entitled to anything. I failed to anticipate a rebate being offered so soon after a product's release which is something I don't recall Epson doing, at least as far back as their 2200 line. I'm savvy enough to know it does happen, I just didn't see it coming nor expect it from Epson.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: Jager on August 03, 2015, 06:43:44 am
It is odd that Epson would have a rebate this early after the P800 began shipping.  But whatever.  Epson has a long history of throwing out rebates without apparent rhyme or reason.

I certainly hope they're moving enough units that they continue with with their (presumed) plan to update the rest of their large format pro line.  And continue development into the future.

One data point... I went online to B&H a few minutes ago to order a new set of ink carts for my P800 and found that half of them were out of stock.  That bodes well, I would think.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: AFairley on August 03, 2015, 10:41:37 am
Great, after I purchased it...

https://www.itsupplies.com/uploads/product/55868/files/SureColorP800-150-EA684-C50275.pdf

You could always call Epson and try to get them to grandfather you if your purchase was close to the rebate period.  I've gotten warranty service for problems that arose just after the warranty expired.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: cortlander on August 03, 2015, 12:00:50 pm
You could always call Epson and try to get them to grandfather you if your purchase was close to the rebate period.  I've gotten warranty service for problems that arose just after the warranty expired.

Thanks, maybe worth a shot. Mine was invoice June 30th, so it may be pushing it a bit! I thought about Purchase protection on my credit card, but I don't think it applies to mail order or rebates. I may just have to suck it up and move on...
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: hokuahi on August 03, 2015, 01:51:15 pm
For the fun of it, I called Epson sales. They were apologetic but said sorry, the rebate wouldn't apply to my situation (purchased June 30 from B&H). The person I spoke with gave  "...the printer just went on sale." as the reason for offering the rebate now, although checking the Epson store I don't find it listed.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: cortlander on August 03, 2015, 04:18:02 pm
For the fun of it, I called Epson sales. They were apologetic but said sorry, the rebate wouldn't apply to my situation (purchased June 30 from B&H). The person I spoke with gave  "...the printer just went on sale." as the reason for offering the rebate now, although checking the Epson store I don't find it listed.

Thank you, I guess I do not need to call them!!
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: printbreakr on August 03, 2015, 08:16:35 pm
I think any feelings about Epson related to this rebate may have more to do with psychology than economics. Cell phone manufacturers and the technology media condition us to equate a discount to poor sales. Unless someone has actual knowledge of Epson's projections, production, and sales -- any assumptions about Epson's business would be incomplete at best.

Epson knows this market inside out. They know how to sell printers. This is a good way to reignite some buzz on already pricey machines. I have a feeling they planned this all along, but that's only a guess.
Title: Re: Epson P800 Rebate
Post by: cortlander on August 11, 2015, 08:54:18 am
Great, after I purchased it...

https://www.itsupplies.com/uploads/product/55868/files/SureColorP800-150-EA684-C50275.pdf

Well, I did not get the rebate, but this did not end badly.

I had written a polite letter to Epson several months ago expressing how I had enjoyed the 3880 and that how disappointed I was that it stopped printing after just 600 pages, which was 5% of its expected 12,000 page life. As it was two years old, it was out of warranty. And I was not going to bother trying to get it repaired.

A nice lady from Corporate Escalations called me and explained that she had tried to find a refurbished machine, but they were all out of it. Perhaps they could exchange ink cartridges for my anticipated P800. I sent them 3 unused and 3 used 3880 carts, and yesterday 7 brand new carts for the P800 arrived - about $400 worth of ink. There was some delay due to shortage, but all along they kept emailing status to me.

They handled this with class.