Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: ErikKaffehr on August 01, 2015, 10:57:13 am
-
Hi,
Here is an image that I have never been happy with. Would be interesting what different photographers come up with:
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043880_small.jpg)
The raw images are here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043880.IIQ
There is no first place, but I would like to post any suggested processing here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/
Best regards
Erik
-
Erik, I feel there is a lack of direct light in this image; it might be better to choose another. When there is no light, what one can do is limited.
The other image was challenging because of the wide range of light and shadows, but also interesting precisely because of this
Edmund
-
Shots like this with bright sky and without direct light onto them are so difficult to process, even tougher as it is flare affected. It is very easy to make the subject of interest too dark with the eye going straight for the sky and raising the shadows too much makes the contrast/colour go strange and picture look very processed with such a bright foreground. This may be a good candidate for luminosity masks.
This is my best attempt in LR.
-
Edmund,
Thanks for your suggestion. I will post the other image ASAP. But I guess it needs to go on another subforum as it was shot on 35mm.
Best regards
Erik
Erik, I feel there is a lack of direct light in this image; it might be better to choose another. When there is no light, what one can do is limited.
The other image was challenging because of the wide range of light and shadows, but also interesting precisely because of this
Edmund
-
Shots like this with bright sky and without direct light onto them are so difficult to process, even tougher as it is flare affected. It is very easy to make the subject of interest too dark with the eye going straight for the sky and raising the shadows too much makes the contrast/colour go strange and picture look very processed with such a bright foreground. This may be a good candidate for luminosity masks.
This is my best attempt in LR.
Mark says it so much more eloquently than I could ever do.
I think you can post here - I'm sure one or two of us don't own any MF gear :)
Edmund
-
Hi Edmund,
Here are both my images:
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043880_small.jpg)
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043904_small.jpg)
Raw files are here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043880.IIQ
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043904.IIQ
Mark says it so much more eloquently than I could ever do.
I think you can post here - I'm sure one or two of us don't own any MF gear :)
Edmund
-
whereupon I repost my first attempt :)
if you could post a decently sized tiff or raw somewhere, I could try some more advanced retouch techniques.
Edmund
-
Hi Edmund,
I had a senior moment or two much wine, possibly both.
Raw files are here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043880.IIQ
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043904.IIQ
Best regards
Erik
whereupon I repost my first attempt :)
if you could post a decently sized tiff or raw somewhere, I could try some more advanced retouch techniques.
Edmund
-
Hi,
Here is an image that I have never been happy with. Would be interesting what different photographers come up with:
(http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043880_small.jpg)
The raw images are here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/20130820-CF043880.IIQ
There is no first place, but I would like to post any suggested processing here:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/ProcessingChallenge/
Best regards
Erik
Hi, the light is pretty flat and you exposed basically on the 1/4 left of the histogram (to save highlight detail in the clouds I assume) making the file extremely underexposed. Even so I was surprised at how deep the file was. I did some quick adjustments in Lightroom and got this after just literally 2 minutes (using my crapola laptop monitor)
-
another view
-
My Attempt in Camera Raw.
Don't know if it helps to post what was done :
Main image : Temp 6750; Tint +16; Exp +2.45 Cont +12; Highlights -91 Shadows +29 Whites +38 Blacks -11 Clarity +15 Vibrance +10 Saturation 0
Graduated filter on water at bottom Temp -17 ; Exp +0.95 Highlights -46 Shadows -84 Saturation +49
Ajustment brush on Sky Temp -17 ; Exp +0.05; Highlights -90; Shadows -43
Adjustment brush on central rocks Exp -0.05 Contrast +22 Highlights +20
Adjustment brush on Trees Exp +0.25 Contrast +12 Highlights +25 Clarity +22 Saturation +17
Adjustment brush on Man woman and top half of boat Temp +8 Exp +0.40 Shadows +22 Saturation +2
Dave
-
My Attempt in Camera Raw.
Don't know if it helps to post what was done :
Main image : Temp 6750; Tint +16; Exp +2.45 Cont +12; Highlights -91 Shadows +29 Whites +38 Blacks -11 Clarity +15 Vibrance +10 Saturation 0
Graduated filter on water at bottom Temp -17 ; Exp +0.95 Highlights -46 Shadows -84 Saturation +49
Ajustment brush on Sky Temp -17 ; Exp +0.05; Highlights -90; Shadows -43
Adjustment brush on central rocks Exp -0.05 Contrast +22 Highlights +20
Adjustment brush on Trees Exp +0.25 Contrast +12 Highlights +25 Clarity +22 Saturation +17
Adjustment brush on Man woman and top half of boat Temp +8 Exp +0.40 Shadows +22 Saturation +2
Dave
Dave, Gigi,
If I may be allowed a joke, you missed the "Time of Death" stamp in those settings.
You tried real hard; but by the time you got to the patient life had gone. Try the other one, it's more fun :)
No offense intended to Erik - sometimes an image we like somehow doesn't quite make it because we got the capture wrong.
Edmund
-
(http://file:///.file/id=6571367.49680209)
(http://file:///.file/id=6571367.49680196)
-
Hi Dave,
Thanks a lot! Much better than my conversion!
Best regards
Erik
My Attempt in Camera Raw.
Don't know if it helps to post what was done :
Main image : Temp 6750; Tint +16; Exp +2.45 Cont +12; Highlights -91 Shadows +29 Whites +38 Blacks -11 Clarity +15 Vibrance +10 Saturation 0
Graduated filter on water at bottom Temp -17 ; Exp +0.95 Highlights -46 Shadows -84 Saturation +49
Ajustment brush on Sky Temp -17 ; Exp +0.05; Highlights -90; Shadows -43
Adjustment brush on central rocks Exp -0.05 Contrast +22 Highlights +20
Adjustment brush on Trees Exp +0.25 Contrast +12 Highlights +25 Clarity +22 Saturation +17
Adjustment brush on Man woman and top half of boat Temp +8 Exp +0.40 Shadows +22 Saturation +2
Dave
-
Hi Dave,
Thanks a lot! Much better than my conversion!
Best regards
Erik
Erik,
The other one is a really nice file IMHO,I just had another look at it, and I will be interested to see what others make of it. I'd need several hours to do better than the sketch I posted.
Edmund
-
Still up for the challenge my attempt at the second one.
Again in ACR - this time adjustments were:
Main image Temp 6150; Tint +15; Exp +0.35; Cont +3; Highlight -2: Shadows +86, Whites +48 Blacks -16
Graduated Filter on Water Temp -16; Exp +0.75 Cont +21; Highlights +28; Shadows -21; Clarity +14 ; Saturation +3
Local Adjustment brushes :
Sky Temp -9; Exp -0.85; Contrast +84; Higlight +44 Shadows -84 ; Saturation -29
High Mountains Temp +14; Exp -.8 Contrast +55; Highlights +17 Shadows -81 Clarity +24; Saturation +3
Peak of highest mountain Exp -0.5
Foreground trees and green on edges of slopes Temp +11 Tint -31 Exp +1.20; Contrast +48 : Highlights +18 Shadows -11 Clarity +47
Background trees on left Temp-4 Exp -0.25
Right hand half of water Exp -0.40 Shadows -2
Thanks Erik for posting these.
Dave
-
Just playing
Larry
-
After posting the second image I went back and tweaked the first to give it a closer look and feel to the second.
Dave
-
After posting the second image I went back and tweaked the first to give it a closer look and feel to the second.
Dave
Building on what Dave managed to do globally, and where I failed - some sharpening, burning and cropping yields this.
Dave you are a better man than me :)
Reminds me of that poem, how does it go? "Under the greying sun, the snowy torrents storm down to an ice-tossed sea" :)
Edmund
-
Personally, I don't like things oversaturated or overcontrasty... maybe just a bit warmer... IMO, a landscape is always depended on the correct sky color...
(http://file:///.file/id=6571367.49687164)
(http://file:///.file/id=6571367.49687162)
-
Personally, I don't like things oversaturated or overcontrasty... maybe just a bit warmer... IMO, a landscape is always depended on the correct sky color...
(http://file:///.file/id=6571367.49687164)
(http://file:///.file/id=6571367.49687162)
It is great that there are so many ways to process all starting from the same capture. With me it depends on the destination and what the image will be used for. So sometimes I would make it "pop" a bit, others I would back of the saturation and vibrance for a more muted/natural look.
Dave
-
It is great that there are so many ways to process all starting from the same capture. With me it depends on the destination and what the image will be used for. So sometimes I would make it "pop" a bit, others I would back of the saturation and vibrance for a more muted/natural look.
Dave
I always like looking at the way other retouchers approach their work - especially if it's on page 3. :)
Edmund
-
I like to paint and put effort, when painting, into creating the illusion of "depth" by muting background colours and detail. Strangely then I find myself doing the opposite when processing photographs and trying to cut through some background haze :)
I do sometimes find it useful when processing a landscape to step back and think how would I paint the scene which affects how I process the contrast and colour in foreground/background.
The point you make about looking at how others create and process an image, and learning from it, is what makes a forum and thread like this so valuable.
Dave
-
Hi Dave,
Your input is much valued! I often feel that I am trapped in my vision when developing images and insights like yours is much appreciated.
Best regards
Erik
I like to paint and put effort, when painting, into creating the illusion of "depth" by muting background colours and detail. Strangely then I find myself doing the opposite when processing photographs and trying to cut through some background haze :)
I do sometimes find it useful when processing a landscape to step back and think how would I paint the scene which affects how I process the contrast and colour in foreground/background.
The point you make about looking at how others create and process an image, and learning from it, is what makes a forum and thread like this so valuable.
Dave
-
Maybe B&W processing?
-
I did this on my laptop which hasn't been calibrated in a while so I'm sure the color will look different on your system. My goal was give it a color treatment reminiscent of the consumer grade fuji slide film Sensia. More impressionistic than literal.
While tweaking RGB curves I discovered could pull deep blue into face of the darker areas of rock.
Thanks for the prompt that was fun.
you can grab the whole C1 session here off my dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/po343y4r2xtbcs8/AAAc2vcZ3SyJTvo5na7Ts3Bra?dl=0)
-
My attempt:
(http://s26.postimg.org/5sn8krxa1/20130820_CF043880.jpg)