Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on July 31, 2015, 05:40:03 pm

Title: All this for gold
Post by: RSL on July 31, 2015, 05:40:03 pm
.
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 31, 2015, 08:56:18 pm
Frighteningly impressive shot.
It reminds me a bit of a copper mine I saw several years ago. That one wasn't nearly as photogenic as these terraces.
One has to wonder what the mountains looked like before the mining started.
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: RSL on July 31, 2015, 09:37:42 pm
Thanks, Eric. Unfortunately, I know what the mountains looked like before they started simply removing them to get the gold. I've been going up to this area since 1965. In those days the mines were underground and the mountains were beautiful. I even have a picture of a ghost town that's now under about 500 feet of tailings. All in all, it's tragic. But it fits right in with the disaster Cripple Creek's become since legal gambling started.
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: Colorado David on July 31, 2015, 11:42:28 pm
I used to love to go to Cripple Creek before gambling took over.  The stories of the Gold Rush days are really interesting.  My grandfather's second cousin was the Sheriff of Teller County during part of the gold rush times.  I haven't been to Cripple Creek for years now.  Maybe I shouldn't go back?
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: Kiwi Paul on August 01, 2015, 06:08:52 am
I like it too, I think it would be a great mono as it's really about shapes and lines which would be emphasized in a mono version.

Paul
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: seamus finn on August 01, 2015, 07:36:12 am
Brilliant shot, Russ - says it all.
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: RSL on August 01, 2015, 11:52:10 am
I used to love to go to Cripple Creek before gambling took over.  The stories of the Gold Rush days are really interesting.  My grandfather's second cousin was the Sheriff of Teller County during part of the gold rush times.  I haven't been to Cripple Creek for years now.  Maybe I shouldn't go back?

If you go, David, be sure to go up to American Eagles Overlook. I made my shot from there. The overlook is the only place where you can get this kind of look at what's going on. Plan an hour or so for a walk through the Vindicator Valley trail. It goes past a couple dozen structures from gold rush days, including this one, the Vindicator Mine processing plant. You need to be in reasonably good shape to do the trail. It climbs and descends several hundred feet, sometimes sharply. If you're familiar with the highway from Cripple Creek to Victor you'll be appalled by what's been lost. One of the most interesting valleys along the way has been obliterated and plowed under by the mining company's bulldozers. Most of the pioneer cabins in the area have been either scraped away or covered with tailings. They even rerouted the highway so they could rape the valley. They also cut off the loop that ran past the little ghost town of Elkton. Elkton now is under a couple hundred feet of tailings.

I'm certainly no left-winger who feels nothing should be touched by man, but I'm sorry to see the loss of history in this historical area. I've been enjoying these mountains since 1965, and what I'm seeing grieves me very much. At least I have pictures of the area as it was, but that's not the same thing as being able to see it as it was. But I guess that's "progress."
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on August 01, 2015, 12:14:21 pm
Love it. The scene should make for a compelling image in the golden light of the low sun.
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: stamper on August 02, 2015, 03:59:49 am
Two very fine images especially the second one. The clouds and the detail are outstanding. Two to be proud of.
Title: Re: All this for gold
Post by: Bob_B on August 02, 2015, 08:22:24 am
Two very fine images especially the second one. The clouds and the detail are outstanding. Two to be proud of.

Exactly! Especially the b/w; wow!