Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: framah on July 28, 2015, 08:29:39 pm

Title: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: framah on July 28, 2015, 08:29:39 pm
Pramote's image of the portland lighthouse reminded me that I had one from long ago (apx 20yrs.) when we still used film... remember way back then??
This is of the Pemaquid Point lighthouse.

Nowhere  as good as his but I still like it.
Thought I'd share it with you.:

(http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/framah/Pemequid%20PT%20lighthouse%20_zpsaaaa60c1.jpg) (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/framah/media/Pemequid%20PT%20lighthouse%20_zpsaaaa60c1.jpg.html)

 This one took almost 20 minutes because as soon as the water in the rocks went still, someone would walk into the picture by the lighthouse!! ..and vise versa. No wonder my knees are shot now!!
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: polaris-14 on July 29, 2015, 01:27:01 am
I almost don't care about the red small house on the left, this is a really cool shot! :D It's worth the trouble, I'd say!
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: Bob_B on July 29, 2015, 09:55:07 am
Yes. I really like how the veins in the rocks lead to the lighthouse. Nice.
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: stamper on July 29, 2015, 10:10:08 am
As it is a fine image but it could be cropped on the left to leave out the red house and still be a fine image. A picture within a picture.
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: pcgpcg on July 29, 2015, 11:24:35 am
I agree. The red house on the left is a distraction. Splendid shot regardless!
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: framah on July 29, 2015, 12:19:38 pm
Interesting... I left it in as it is part of the whole but  now that you said it.. i AGREE, it needs to go.

Up here, these shots always sell to the summer people not a lot but a couple each summer. I'll try it without the little red house on the left. I think it was probably their fuel house. The one out on Mohegan has a small building that housed the fuel tanks so I figure this might be the same thing.

Thanks, guys.
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: MattBurt on July 29, 2015, 12:22:45 pm
Great shot! I love the added dimension reflections give us.
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 29, 2015, 02:59:40 pm
As it is a fine image but it could be cropped on the left to leave out the red house and still be a fine image. A picture within a picture.

Absolutely. The red house is a distraction.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: framah on July 29, 2015, 06:13:55 pm
What do you think?

(http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/framah/Pemaquid%20PT%20lighthouse%20cropped%20_zpsyvx4swi3.jpg) (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/framah/media/Pemaquid%20PT%20lighthouse%20cropped%20_zpsyvx4swi3.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: MTGFender on July 30, 2015, 12:19:09 am
framah...You are too kind and humble. I really appreciate it although I disagree.
              I think both pictures are beautiful although I agree with stamper a 2nd one look a little better.
Best
Pramote
Title: Re: Another Maine lighthouse, if you please
Post by: jerryw on August 05, 2015, 01:00:29 pm
Pramote's image of the portland lighthouse reminded me that I had one from long ago (apx 20yrs.) when we still used film... remember way back then??
This is of the Pemaquid Point lighthouse.

Nowhere  as good as his but I still like it.
Thought I'd share it with you.:

(http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/framah/Pemequid%20PT%20lighthouse%20_zpsaaaa60c1.jpg) (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/framah/media/Pemequid%20PT%20lighthouse%20_zpsaaaa60c1.jpg.html)

 This one took almost 20 minutes because as soon as the water in the rocks went still, someone would walk into the picture by the lighthouse!! ..and vise versa. No wonder my knees are shot now!!


Nice composition.  Pemaquid is my favorite light on the Maine coast - a beautiful location.

A little C&C if you are open to it:

For what its worth, I took one of the same scene some years ago, with a wider perspective - if you care to take a peek.

http://photos.jerryweimar.com/mainemidcoast/h290e6a41#h290e6a41 (http://photos.jerryweimar.com/mainemidcoast/h290e6a41#h290e6a41)

Cheers!