Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: patrick love on July 28, 2015, 05:17:15 pm

Title: Which Book Printer to Use?
Post by: patrick love on July 28, 2015, 05:17:15 pm
I'm guessing this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it in a quick search.  I'm interested in printing a book of my own photos.  Perhaps about 10 copies for friends, family and myself.  I'd like to keep the cost under $100 per book, but I also want it to have a "wow" factor, beyond just my photos, so I'm looking for a larger size and quality materials/paper.  Has anyone else done this?
Title: Re: Which Book Printer to Use?
Post by: Peter McLennan on July 28, 2015, 05:33:58 pm
When I got my first book back from Blurb my reaction was WOW.
I chose the largest size book and the highest quality media.
Hardcover with a dust jacket 65 pages $85.
Title: Re: Which Book Printer to Use?
Post by: Mark D Segal on July 28, 2015, 05:46:44 pm
Have a look at Pikto (https://www.pikto.com/photobooks-overview); very high quality. Price may or may not work for you depending on number of pages, features, paper quality you select, etc.
Title: Re: Which Book Printer to Use?
Post by: digitaldog on July 28, 2015, 07:27:56 pm
I've printed the identical images to both Blurb and through Aperture, Blurb can't hold a candle to what Apple offers. Put the same image on the cover and inside the book because two differing printing processes are used. Apple matched pretty well, Blurb was off. I prefer some of the templates Blurb offers but in terms of color quality, they didn't come close.
Title: Re: Which Book Printer to Use?
Post by: Nora_nor on July 28, 2015, 08:08:24 pm
Moab and Hahnemuhle have books where you print the pages, but they are meant for portfolios or albums like wedding albums. The paper is double-sided and fine art paper
Title: Re: Which Book Printer to Use?
Post by: patrick love on July 29, 2015, 12:49:26 am
Thanks for all the responses.  Blurb and Aperture do offer a good product at a good price. 

I searched in the forum some more and found a few other options.  I'll post them here as a resource.

paperchasepress.com
editiononebooks.com
pikto.com

The prices can certainly get up there, but the books appear to be second to none.