Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on July 25, 2015, 01:36:12 pm

Title: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: seamus finn on July 25, 2015, 01:36:12 pm
-

Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: wmchauncey on July 26, 2015, 09:37:06 am
Would you hang that in your living room?
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: armand on July 26, 2015, 09:41:43 am
There are plenty of green organizations out there.
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: BobDavid on July 26, 2015, 09:46:37 am
+1
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: RSL on July 26, 2015, 12:09:30 pm
Yeah, I'd hang it, but my wife would take it down.
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: Mike Brown on July 26, 2015, 08:00:02 pm
I like this, provocative, yet I enjoy the colours, pattern and shapes amongst the jumble also. As a teacher I would most definitely hang this on my classroom wall. As a husband, I suspect my wife would also remove it from our wall.
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 27, 2015, 12:02:56 am
Seamus, that is a great photo. There is something of Gursky and Burtynsky combined in it. I can easily see it in any museum of modern arts or exhibition. The contrast of a happy family walking by and the background is great metaphorically. If I may suggest, I would make it even more panoramic, by cutting off the very bottom, almost up to the street level and benches. The very bottom part adds nothing to the story but distraction.
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: seamus finn on July 27, 2015, 08:50:37 am
Seamus, that is a great photo. There is something of Gursky and Burtynsky combined in it. I can easily see it in any museum of modern arts or exhibition. The contrast of a happy family walking by and the background is great metaphorically. If I may suggest, I would make it even more panoramic, by cutting off the very bottom, almost up to the street level and benches. The very bottom part adds nothing to the story but distraction.

Believe it or not, my first instinct was exactly as you suggest. Than, fatally, I changed my mind. Thanks for your kind comment.


Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: stamper on July 27, 2015, 09:44:18 am
Perhaps a little less of a crop? Crop at the first horizontal line in the brickwork below where you cropped. Overall a nice pleasing image that is worth viewing more than once so worth spending some time getting the crop "right"
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: David Eckels on July 27, 2015, 10:54:51 am
Seamus, that is a great photo. There is something of Gursky and Burtynsky combined in it. I can easily see it in any museum of modern arts or exhibition. The contrast of a happy family walking by and the background is great metaphorically. If I may suggest, I would make it even more panoramic, by cutting off the very bottom, almost up to the street level and benches. The very bottom part adds nothing to the story but distraction.
I agree but watch the aspect ratio IMHO.
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: MattBurt on July 29, 2015, 01:59:08 pm
Great sense of scale and detail here! I could imagine this in Smithsonian or National Geographic magazine.
Title: Re: Waste Not, Want Not
Post by: seamus finn on July 30, 2015, 09:13:32 am
Thanks, everybody - much appreciated.