Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: ajz on July 20, 2015, 02:54:05 pm

Title: Sony a7ii w/Canon L lenses
Post by: ajz on July 20, 2015, 02:54:05 pm
Has anyone used either the Metabones or the Fotodix adapters on the Sony 7a with good results. I have a number of "L" Canon lenses that I wish to adapt, especially my 70 - 200mm f4. And, while this lens has IS, any experience with using the lenses IS vs. the Sony's IS system.
Many thanks for your thoughts.

ajz
Title: Re: Sony a7ii w/Canon L lenses
Post by: dchew on July 28, 2015, 06:47:08 pm
ajz,
No responses yet, so I will let you know my experiences with an a7r, NOT the a7 or a7II.

Canon lenses work fine as long as you are not relying on autofocus. They focus accurately but are mind numbingly slow with a metabones. I don't know if the II is better. I believe there are some threads on this somewhere...

The IS seems fine on my Canon 70-200 f4. Again, no idea how it compares with Sony's IS.

Dave
Title: Re: Sony a7ii w/Canon L lenses
Post by: dmward on August 05, 2015, 06:47:08 pm
I have both adapters and am using them with A7II.
IS works as described on the Metabones site with firmware V0.41.

Before updating firmware my 300mm F4 L did not have aperture control or IS through the Metabones IV. With new firmware it does.

As mentioned AF was way slow. That's what I expect will improve based on what I've read and seen with pre-release A7RII on various fora.

I got the Fotodiox as an inexpensive adapter to use for fast AF with A7RII based on reports during pre-release testing. It does not deliver aperture control or IS on the 300 with the A7II.