Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Herbc on July 16, 2015, 09:52:10 pm
-
I got a box of Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, and for even a careful examination, I can't tell front from back.
Surely it is not double coated?
-
the moist finger test is pretty conclusive.
position your thumb & forefinger like you were going to pick up a small object.
dampen both w/ your tongue
now put the corner of the paper between the fingers. the sticky side is the printable side.
-
You can if you want, but you don't need to do all that!
When you remove the top of the box the side facing up is the printable side. To double-check - look at the sheet at an angle under a lamp - the printable side has some texture and sparkle, the backing is very smooth.
-
You can if you want, but you don't need to do all that!
When you remove the top of the box the side facing up is the printable side. To double-check - look at the sheet at an angle under a lamp - the printable side has some texture and sparkle, the backing is very smooth.
And that is easier than the dampened finger test? :)
Brian A
-
Ya, it doesn't get much easier than opening the box and printing on the up-side. Looking at it on an angle, no wetting, no stickiness is just a double check. But each to his own! :-)
-
I think having multiple methods that reinforce each other is a win.
trust but verify ;)
there are some papers that are very difficult to tell but usually have a 'this side up' indicator (and then I mark the bag, esp if I start converting to smaller test size pieces)
-
Tried both. The sparkle test works, the sticky finger gives yes and no answers.
Mucho thanks to all. 8)