Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: gagemanning on July 16, 2015, 09:31:30 pm
-
Just wondering if anyone has receives a Phase One XF yet?
gage
-
It appears that at least 1 person did, but not me :) http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100849.160 (bottom of page 9)
-
Yes, any questions?
Christopher Hauser
[email protected]
-
Thanks Dennis!
Christopher, did you get the body and digital back? What's your thoughts?
Gage
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Which focusing screen does it have installed
-
Hi there
Received mine on Thursday (I'm based in London).
Received the DF-style focusing screen (round target), not the sniper-style shown on the instruction manual from the phase one website. My dealer said he hadn't heard of different focussing screens, but would check for me.
Also have the waist-level finder and a 35LS on order, but those are still MIA
Happy to answer questions if anyone's got 'em!
-
Hi there
Received mine on Thursday (I'm based in London).
Received the DF-style focusing screen (round target), not the sniper-style shown on the instruction manual from the phase one website. My dealer said he hadn't heard of different focussing screens, but would check for me.
Also have the waist-level finder and a 35LS on order, but those are still MIA
Happy to answer questions if anyone's got 'em!
Hi, What is your back?
-
It's an IQ160
-
Hi there
Received mine on Thursday (I'm based in London).
Received the DF-style focusing screen (round target), not the sniper-style shown on the instruction manual from the phase one website. My dealer said he hadn't heard of different focussing screens, but would check for me.
Also have the waist-level finder and a 35LS on order, but those are still MIA
Happy to answer questions if anyone's got 'em!
Phase One shipped the first round of XF's of the old DF+ viewfinder. You dealer should know about this and working on getting the correct viewfinder when it ships. I would also consider having a dealer replace the viewfinder as they are not easy to work on in the old DF+ and I will assume have the same issues in the XF.
Namely very tight latch, and very easy to scratch.
Paul
-
Thanks, Paul
Good advice as I'm a tinkerer and probably would have just asked him to send it over directly to me...
-
I've been using one with my IQ180 for less than a week.
Still has the older DF mask and still waiting for the WL. My RRS L bracket fits like a glove. The one issue is that they've added several pins in the middle of the shutter release so my older electronic release doesn't fit/work; rumor has it that either an adaptor will be available or a new release but no idea when. Frankly I want the WL then the mask then the release in that order.
My XF came with the new firmware update and after updating the 180 everything fits/works well. AF seems faster/better. Fit and finish of the body is excellent. Very subjective however it "feels" smaller/lighter which it isn't yet built like a tank.
I'm getting thoughts together for a blog so these are just off the top of my head. So far I've shot some landscape (my main topic) and did a wedding dress fitting (which isn't my normal thing). Bottom line well worth the wait and yes well worth the money.
As a plug, I want to thank the folks at Capture Integration especially Anthony Festa for checking the camera out before sending it on to me as well as Dave Gallagher for well just being Dave Gallagher.
More later,
Don
-
Completely agree with Don and the poster in the other thread. Really liking it so far, with my big items:
- better AF that 'locks' more confidently
- great build and feel more than makes up for the weight gain
- shutter feels more damp and more 'scissory': ka-chunk instead of 'KAAaa-chuUNNKK' (I get the feeling I can handhold at <1/1x-1/1.5x now, but this might just be psychological)
Other neat little finds (for me at least):
- swiping from the right on top screen brings up the seismograph
- having the mirror up button on the screen is just great
- powering on the back also turns on the body
- powering down locks the mirror up and the shutter down, protecting the sensor on the back
Some things that I haven't figured out or that I wish were different:
- a way to enable auto ISO with an IQ1 series (not holding out hope)
- I have the AF set to the rear button (and shutter with AF off), but if it's in continuous AF mode, you can't fire the shutter unless you're depressing the rear AF button (so no focus-recompose if in continuous AF)
- the grip is slightly narrow and shallow, my fingertips feel like they're scraping the front of the recess
- my handgrip is probably funky, but the secondary shutter button is never where my finger is when shooting portrait (might be from having used Canon bodies)
- I haven't found a way to make the dials modal, i.e. have the front dial modify aperture in Av, but shutter speed in Tv
- (so my set up is front dial=aperture, rear=shutter speed, grip rear=ev comp)
Overall, pretty happy, and can't wait to receive the waist level finder and a cable release.
-
How easy is it to dial in a -2, 0, +2 exposure bracket?
If you do this I assume that you can still set the exposure comp in 1/3rd stops as well? (Pet peeve with DF+)
-
How easy is it to dial in a -2, 0, +2 exposure bracket?
If you do this I assume that you can still set the exposure comp in 1/3rd stops as well? (Pet peeve with DF+)
Exposure bracketing is very easy. Tap on the drive mode icon and then tap and hold on the bracketing option to set advanced options for bracketing. It has no effect on exposure compensation.
On a related topic, you can set the third dial to a variety of useful options. By default it controls ISO, but it can also be set to change images when reviewing on the LCD (so both hands can stay in shooting position on the camera while scrolling through images) or, apropos to your question, it can be set to exposure compensation.
-
Liked to know if SSR my L bracket for DF+ can also be used for XF or I have to get a new one? Thanks
-
Seems rather tacky that they didn't have the new viewfinder mask ready at launch time.
-
Liked to know if SSR my L bracket for DF+ can also be used for XF or I have to get a new one? Thanks
The RRS L bracket off my DF fits with no problems.
Don
-
Does anyone know if auto iso will function using an iq250?
Are there any other "missing" items using this back?
-
Does anyone know if auto iso will function using an iq250?
Are there any other "missing" items using this back?
Power sharing is the primary current feature of the IQ3 which will be missing.
In the future, as new features are released that list may or may not grow - only the future will tell.