Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 16, 2015, 03:48:32 pm

Title: two holes in the wall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 16, 2015, 03:48:32 pm
?

Jeremy
Title: Re: two holes in the wall
Post by: Mike Brown on July 16, 2015, 08:55:03 pm
I like this more than my attempts at similar shots.

For me I feel it lacks a bit of context by itself. I would like to see it perhaps next to another image that gives an idea of the surroundings and ?maybe? the scale. It wouldn't necessarily have to show the hole in the image, just contain similar looking rock so it was obviously in the area. That's just me though.
Title: Re: two holes in the wall
Post by: Arlen on July 18, 2015, 08:46:32 pm
I like it. It keeps me looking for a while, taking in the details.
Title: Re: two holes in the wall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 19, 2015, 02:04:12 pm
Thanks. Mike, here's the uncropped version, for context.

Jeremy
Title: Re: two holes in the wall
Post by: Rainer SLP on July 19, 2015, 02:24:00 pm
Hi Jeremy,

I like the non cropped version more.

The only critique is the over processing of the images as I do see a sharpening artifact between the borders of the stones against the sly and that in my view takes away the depth of the sky making it flat for my eyes.

Would be nice to see a less processed image especially for the borders between rock and sky.
Title: Re: two holes in the wall
Post by: Mike Brown on July 19, 2015, 02:51:47 pm
Wow, the holes are big.

I like the second also. As a stand alone image. I think it conveys more of the structure and place to me. Fascinating geology.

Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: two holes in the wall
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 20, 2015, 03:22:18 pm
Interesting reactions. I'll do a bit of work on the sky at the top, which is rather featureless at present (I'd not bothered when it was cropped out).

Yes, they're big. It's in Arches NP.

Jeremy