Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: John V. on July 15, 2015, 03:59:19 pm

Title: The most expensive print ever sold...
Post by: John V. on July 15, 2015, 03:59:19 pm
I googled "the most expensive print ever sold" the other day and got this: http://petapixel.com/2014/12/10/peter-lik-print-sells-6-5-million-shattering-record-expensive-photo/

So how exactly would this "print" have been made? Would it have been an inkjet print? What type of media, etc? The words "print" and "photo" are mixed throughout this and the related articles...

John  
Title: Re: How a VERY expensive print is made..
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 15, 2015, 04:06:39 pm
The price has nothing to do with how it was made or what media.
Title: Re: How a VERY expensive print is made..
Post by: John V. on July 15, 2015, 04:13:24 pm
Yes I understand. A linen canvas can be home for something "worth" millions or nothing at all.  

I wasn't asking in hopes of equating the price to the material characteristics.
Title: Re: How a VERY expensive print is made..
Post by: MattBurt on July 15, 2015, 04:24:47 pm
Not sure if this is the kind of info you wanted but here's a guy trying to replicate his process look on a shoestring budget.
https://player.vimeo.com/video/28601516
Title: Re: How a VERY expensive print is made..
Post by: John V. on July 15, 2015, 04:41:43 pm
Yeah i remember seeing that a few years ago and lol'ing at all the wavey in the mount job. Ok, so there is a bit of info in there.. kodak metallic paper-so that means inkjet-for some of the things Lik does, at least.

Title: Re: How a VERY expensive print is made..
Post by: John V. on July 15, 2015, 04:44:43 pm
I should say.. I'm not asking "how to make a million dollar print" based on the process or materials used. I'm not suggesting those things play a role in determining the value of a print (necessarily, at least).

There really is nothing more to my question than what is typed out in the original post.. It's simply a *curiosity* of what process/materials may have been used to make such a print. I'm not trying to connect the two things together.
Title: Re: The most expensive print ever sold...
Post by: Mike Sellers on July 15, 2015, 08:33:40 pm
As far as I know he prints on Fuji  Super Glossy with a Lightjet printer.
Mike
Title: Re: The most expensive print ever sold...
Post by: BradSmith on July 15, 2015, 08:49:34 pm
John,
I don't know about his one of a kind $6.5M print, but his general printing  and mounting methods were discussed here on LuLa recently.   It was said there, and other places on the net, that he prints using laser based printers onto FujiFlex material which is then wet chemical processed, like back in the darkroom days.  That paper is made for that processing method. 

Here is the link to the LuLa discussion.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99361.0

Brad