Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2015, 03:10:37 pm

Title: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2015, 03:10:37 pm
Comments welcome.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 13, 2015, 03:28:13 pm
Good job, buddy.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2015, 03:29:44 pm
Thanks, Slobodan.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Adam L on July 13, 2015, 04:00:05 pm
Nice work Eric.  You must have been there soon after the rain ended.   It's difficult to get anything without a footprint in it this time of the year.   I have a bunch of similar attempts but your images put mine to shame.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: petermfiore on July 13, 2015, 04:08:09 pm
Very sweet Eric...wonderful.

Peter

PS   I have done a number of paintings from Plumb Island.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Bob_B on July 13, 2015, 04:37:48 pm
+1. Very pleasing set. I especially like the second one.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: churly on July 13, 2015, 05:35:19 pm
Oh yes!  I've been awaiting another Plum Island installment.  You are very good at organizing those sand grains.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2015, 07:04:18 pm
Thanks all for the kind words.

And Chuck: Of course it takes a lot of work to put each grain of sand in just the right place.   ;D
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2015, 07:59:07 pm
Here are two more in a similar vein.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Patricia Sheley on July 13, 2015, 08:37:38 pm

In the zone, image Plum Island 150102-1639

Manifestation Minor's Littoral

...fine receptivity... :)
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: luxborealis on July 13, 2015, 08:44:44 pm
This is a beautiful series, Eric. Lovely tones, shapes, textures.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Arlen on July 13, 2015, 09:05:36 pm
Very well done. All are good, but I especially like the last two additions.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: louoates on July 13, 2015, 09:17:05 pm
Well done in all respects. Great series concept.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: John R on July 13, 2015, 10:43:41 pm
Of course they are all wonderful. But may I say all these fine abstractions have a kind of life. They all look like they are longing to reach out to each other or escape the borders of their frame. Number one looks like two creatures that have struck up a relationship. Number two is is going join them and number three is the colony.

JR
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 13, 2015, 11:51:23 pm
Thank you for all the good comments.

I have to say that John R comes very close to describing the way I look at these scenes.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: stamper on July 14, 2015, 03:54:48 am
All the praise is richly deserved.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: seamus finn on July 14, 2015, 05:08:38 am
All the praise is richly deserved.

What more can be said! OK - one more word: stunning.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on July 14, 2015, 11:54:54 am
Eric, you are on a roll. Beautiful work, and will make for compelling prints.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 14, 2015, 01:14:48 pm
Comments welcome.

Lovely, Eric; particularly the second, IMHO.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: BobDavid on July 14, 2015, 05:36:13 pm
+1, +1, +1.  Shimmery and silvery--nice.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on July 14, 2015, 06:03:12 pm
They all are truly beautiful.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: graeme on July 14, 2015, 08:27:59 pm
Eric, you are on a roll. Beautiful work, and will make for compelling prints.

+1. Will you be exhibiting these?
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 14, 2015, 09:15:22 pm
+1. Will you be exhibiting these?
Some of them have been exhibited. The rest will make it into whatever exhibit I manage to scrounge up next.

Thanks for all the comments, folks.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 14, 2015, 09:49:39 pm
Nice work Eric.  You must have been there soon after the rain ended.   It's difficult to get anything without a footprint in it this time of the year.   I have a bunch of similar attempts but your images put mine to shame.
I have to admit my secret. I only visit Plum Island between November and March, when there are no bathers and only a few dog walkers and joggers. I also prefer to visit shortly before low tide, in the afternoon when the low sun gives good back lighting.

Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Bruce Cox on July 15, 2015, 09:38:42 am
plus
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on July 15, 2015, 09:48:05 am
I have to admit my secret. I only visit Plum Island between November and March, when ...

I have a question (and I assure you, it's a sincere one): once you've found that a certain combination of subject/composition/light/postprocessing/etc.etc works, what does makes you keep shooting the same kind of photos?

I'm asking this because I often found myself saying "oh, this would be similar to the shot I took some time ago" and I don't take it.
But I realize that's probably me that I can't go beyond the "stilistic" part of the shots.

Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 15, 2015, 02:08:44 pm
I have a question (and I assure you, it's a sincere one): once you've found that a certain combination of subject/composition/light/postprocessing/etc.etc works, what does makes you keep shooting the same kind of photos?

I'm asking this because I often found myself saying "oh, this would be similar to the shot I took some time ago" and I don't take it.
But I realize that's probably me that I can't go beyond the "stilistic" part of the shots.


Diego,

That is an excellent question and I do plan to give a thoughtful answer. Unfortunately I'm about to leave the country for about a week and a half, so I don't have time to answer it properly right now. I will try to put down some thoughts on paper while I'm away and I'll hope to respond by early august.

Thanks for asking.

Eric
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on July 16, 2015, 03:20:02 am
Diego,

That is an excellent question and I do plan to give a thoughtful answer. Unfortunately I'm about to leave the country for about a week and a half, so I don't have time to answer it properly right now. I will try to put down some thoughts on paper while I'm away and I'll hope to respond by early august.

Thanks for asking.

Eric

Thank you for you time.
Have a nice trip :D
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: petermfiore on July 16, 2015, 06:44:49 am
I have to admit my secret. I only visit Plum Island between November and March, when there are no bathers and only a few dog walkers and joggers. I also prefer to visit shortly before low tide, in the afternoon when the low sun gives good back lighting.

This is indeed the secret time of year to visit shore ponts. for all the above reasons and for me the quality of the light is superb...

Peter
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 30, 2015, 09:29:26 pm
I have a question (and I assure you, it's a sincere one): once you've found that a certain combination of subject/composition/light/postprocessing/etc.etc works, what does makes you keep shooting the same kind of photos?

I'm asking this because I often found myself saying "oh, this would be similar to the shot I took some time ago" and I don't take it.
But I realize that's probably me that I can't go beyond the "stilistic" part of the shots.


I'm now back from a week and a half in Nova Scotia, and I have put together an essay in response to your question, Diego. I'll post it as a new thread and add a link here. The essay is at http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102519.new#new (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102519.new#new)
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on July 31, 2015, 03:27:22 am
I'm now back from a week and a half in Nova Scotia, and I have put together an essay in response to your question, Diego. I'll post it as a new thread and add a link here. The essay is at http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102519.new#new (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102519.new#new)
Thanks a lot for you time: I'm reading your essay now.
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: RSL on July 31, 2015, 11:51:16 am
Bravo, Eric! That's looking!
Title: Re: Low Tide, Plum Island
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 31, 2015, 04:47:19 pm
Thanks, Russ.
 
You should see my reject pile. Zillions that couldn't even be saved by cr*pping.   ;)