Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: bambanx on July 11, 2015, 04:09:23 pm
-
Hello guys i use a nikon d800 but i ordered a hasslblad 500 cm, never i used filters but i want to buy a few, the filters for film are the same for the digitals? i mean filters like color balancers or nd graduated ..., how do you hand the color when do you use filters, for example on a digital camera the white balance ? and in film i need buy filters does not affect white balance ? liek this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/491473-REG/LEE_Filters_9NDG_4x4_Neutral_Density_ND.html ?
Thanks very much and sorry for my bad english.
-
Hello. Me personally, I've never notice a problem with white balance when using graduated filers. I've shot with a Leica S for some time (currently switching to Phase One) and have used Schneider 4 x 4 (4mm) glass filters. I would highly recommend because they are difficult to break and easy to clean dust (I hate resin coated filters). I typically keep a .9 and 1.2 grad filter with me. Here is a link where you can buy them (you can find them on B&H photo also).
http://leicastoremiami.com/collections/4-filter-system
Gage
-
I just started using the Lee Graduated resin filters on my medium format camera, and the color shift is very significant. The glass filters may be a better solution. Do you find they are color neutral? Thanks for your input.
-
I think the OP is asking more about filters for film on his "new" 500c/m in comparison to digital.
Colour balance on C41 negative colour is handled in printing/scanning so no white balance on lens is required*, previously in film days the filters were colour balance, and both "warming" and "cooling" were/are made. They are available for E6 reversal film, (where the colour balance is fixed at exposure) which regrettably is a casualty of digital and more limited in range than it was.
In B/W the filters work on camera the way the sliders do in post digital conversions.,yellow/red etc.
An ND filter that affects colour balance on negative colour film can be corrected in printing/scanning. A graduate one that is affecting balance will require more work post digitalising.
* Note tungsten balance colour film is available as are conversion filters to shoot that in daylight.
-
It's been my experience that even if Graduated ND filters start off dead neutral, they discolor with age. I had some 15 year old ones that were noticeably more red as the ND became heavier. Happily, if you do a Lens Cast Calibration with the filter in place, it will totally correct the problem.
CB