Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: JoeKitchen on July 10, 2015, 08:28:10 am

Title: Custom Grids Made?
Post by: JoeKitchen on July 10, 2015, 08:28:10 am
I would love to have a 5 degree (or tighter) grid made for the Profoto Magnum/Narrow Beam reflector.  Is this even possible? 
Title: Re: Custom Grids Made?
Post by: Scott Hargis on July 10, 2015, 09:32:59 am
Joe, keep in mind that you can always just slap a grid over a smaller reflector dish with some gaff tape. I use a set of 7" Elinchrom grids on my little Dynalite dishes all the time.
Gives you more options when shopping.
Title: Re: Custom Grids Made?
Post by: JoeKitchen on July 10, 2015, 12:29:32 pm
Thanks Scott. 

Unfortunately those two reflectors take a gird that is 13 inches in diameter, so I would need one at least that big for your method to work. 

Just checked B&H, it appears all the 5 degree grids are 7 to 8 inches in diameter. 

Maybe if I am gridding the light that much, it would not make a difference too much what reflector I was using.   ???  I'll have to test this.  Magnum probably will be the same as a normal reflector.  Narrow beam produces an unique look though. 
Title: Re: Custom Grids Made?
Post by: Conner999 on July 10, 2015, 07:27:55 pm
There's a US firm called Honey Grids that makes some grids for Profoto and other gear - and IIRC will do custom work - and sell just the cell material for DIY folks. Never suyed them, but they seem to have a decent rep.
Title: Re: Custom Grids Made?
Post by: JoeKitchen on July 10, 2015, 09:31:57 pm
Thanks, looks like a promising company. 
Title: Re: Custom Grids Made?
Post by: David Eichler on July 11, 2015, 02:02:12 pm
http://www.honeycombgrids.com/  No stock 5 degree grid though.