Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on July 08, 2015, 03:11:34 pm

Title: End of the Road
Post by: seamus finn on July 08, 2015, 03:11:34 pm
-

Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: RSL on July 08, 2015, 03:27:42 pm
It may not be useful, but it's aging beautifully. Good catch, Seamus.
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 08, 2015, 03:40:33 pm
Always a fascinating subject. Nicely captured, well exposed and composed, and quite decorative.
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: seamus finn on July 08, 2015, 03:51:11 pm
I love that description 'quite decorative'. Is that a put down or a compliment?
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 08, 2015, 04:37:28 pm
I love that description 'quite decorative'. Is that a put down or a compliment?

Ah, Seamus, you should know me better by now. If I wanted a put down, you'd have no doubts what I meant ;) When taken in the context I was using it, i.e., after other compliments, it was meant as one, of course.

On a side note, I do not share such a disdain for "decorative." I believe that a lot of art works, throughout history, was meant to be decorative in the first place. The only exception might be modern arts, where "investment value," (whatever it is), or "conceptual value," (again, whatever it is), might be dominant instead.

Back to the OP photo, it has a number of elements that make it decorative, in the best sense of that word: harmonious color gamut, well-balanced distribution of shapes and forms (a.k.a. composition), etc.
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 08, 2015, 05:38:41 pm
Slobodan said it all.
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: stamper on July 09, 2015, 03:21:48 am
I like this and the processing suits the content.
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: seamus finn on July 09, 2015, 05:13:42 am
Ah, Seamus, you should know me better by now. If I wanted a put down, you'd have no doubts what I meant ;) When taken in the context I was using it, i.e., after other compliments, it was meant as one, of course.

On a side note, I do not share such a disdain for "decorative." I believe that a lot of art works, throughout history, was meant to be decorative in the first place. The only exception might be modern arts, where "investment value," (whatever it is), or "conceptual value," (again, whatever it is), might be dominant instead.

Back to the OP photo, it has a number of elements that make it decorative, in the best sense of that word: harmonious color gamut, well-balanced distribution of shapes and forms (a.k.a. composition), etc.

Thank Goodness for that!
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: Otto Phocus on July 09, 2015, 07:42:16 am
When ever I see abandoned vehicles like that, I wonder about the backstory.  How did it get there and why?
Title: Re: End of the Road
Post by: seamus finn on July 09, 2015, 05:21:21 pm
When ever I see abandoned vehicles like that, I wonder about the backstory.  How did it get there and why?


I'd say in this case, a local farmer simply abandoned it in one of his fields. Wouldn't it be great, though, to know the details of its journeys  - not to mention the experiences of its passengers along the way.