Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on July 05, 2015, 07:53:51 am

Title: rocks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 05, 2015, 07:53:51 am
I imagine these (in Arches NP) have a name but I don't know what it is.

Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on July 05, 2015, 08:10:07 am
They ought to have a name!

Nice shot, beautifully lighted, with a nice but not overpowering sky.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: Bob_B on July 05, 2015, 09:31:31 am
Very powerful photo. I love the detail in the rocks against the cloud pattern. Well seen.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: stamper on July 05, 2015, 09:42:27 am
Very pleasing and the processing does the scene justice.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on July 05, 2015, 09:53:24 am
Your very best so far.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: sdwilsonsct on July 05, 2015, 10:15:52 am
Very powerful photo. I love the detail in the rocks against the cloud pattern. Well seen.

Yes. One suggestion: the sky is a bit brighter close to the rocks. If this is from processing I might try and reduce the effect.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: luxborealis on July 05, 2015, 12:53:19 pm
I imagine these (in Arches NP) have a name but I don't know what it is.

Comments?

Jeremy

They are called Hoodoos here in Canada.

Great photograph, Jeremy. Well seen and captured with a very complementary tone. One suggestion might be to reduce (slightly) the feeling of looking up (it seems a bit exaggerated) by using (in LR) the vertical Lens Correction adjustment. While some vertical perspective is necessary to give the feeling of height, my feeling is that it's a bit too much in this view.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: francois on July 06, 2015, 04:18:38 am
No idea about the name but this is a great shot and B&W makes it even better.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: Arlen on July 06, 2015, 02:15:34 pm
Intriguing. They look like statues built by some ancient civilization, with a story to tell for those who can decipher it.
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 07, 2015, 03:48:46 am
Thanks, all! I've been meaning to process this shot for over a year and I'm now very glad I finally did.

Arlen, that was exactly my feeling, particularly the one on the left.

Terry, I take the point. They are in fact on top of a ridge, from memory about 20 or 30 feet up.

Jeremy
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: bretedge on July 08, 2015, 11:16:23 pm
These hoodoos sit atop a larger structure called the Tower of Babel but the hoodoos themselves do not have names.  Fantastic photo of them!
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: tom b on July 08, 2015, 11:48:15 pm
Well done!

Cheers,
Title: Re: rocks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on July 10, 2015, 03:00:41 pm
These hoodoos sit atop a larger structure called the Tower of Babel but the hoodoos themselves do not have names.  Fantastic photo of them!

Thanks, Bret. I thought that if you didn't know immediately, you'd find out!

I'm surprised they're not better known: they're very photogenic. I suppose there's a bit of competition in Arches NP...

Jeremy