Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: PBC on June 29, 2015, 02:18:25 pm

Title: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: PBC on June 29, 2015, 02:18:25 pm
Sorry as this is a bit between forums but thought this was the best place to post :-)

After having carried my Pentax 645D on trips as a back-up to my 645Z, I had had one of those moments and decided to try something different and so I am going to replace the 645D with a Sony A7RII, allowing me to cut down on the weight I carry around and also (hopefully) to allow some different types of photography.

Not knowing much about this strange new world of mirrorless cameras, etc. I am wondering if anyone has any experience of using adapters that support mounting my 645 lenses on the Sony and if so, how limited is the functionality?   Manual focus is not a problem, but how does aperture, metering and quality fair?

Also, what happens to the "focal length"?  I am assuming the 150mm 645 lens, returned to being a 150mm "35mm equivalent" ?

Hopefully the decision becomes a wise one :-)

All help gratefully received.

Thanks

Phil
Title: Re: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: Telecaster on June 29, 2015, 05:54:38 pm
Photodiox Fotodiox makes some sort of shift adapter for Pentax 645 lenses. Surprisingly Novoflex, Metabones, etc. to my knowledge offer no P645 —> FE adapters. I wish they did as I'd also like one.

As for focal length…it is what it is.  :)  But imagine using your lenses on your 645Z with a 1.2x TC. This is about (ignoring aspect ratio differences) what you'd see when mounting them on a Sony A7x camera.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: PBC on June 30, 2015, 02:08:58 pm
Thanks Dave

Looking at Fotodiox I see they have an adapter for 645 to Sony mount - See here.... (https://www.fotodioxpro.com/lens-mount-adapter-pentax-645-p645-mount-lenses-sony-emount-mirrorless-camera.html)

Not sure this is the same one you mentioned as it is not a tilt-and-shift adapter?

Seems reasonably priced (which is a worry); anyone any experience with this?

Thanks

Phil
Title: Re: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: Telecaster on June 30, 2015, 04:24:50 pm
Hmmm, don't know if that's the same one I've seen listed (B&H Photo) or not. I have a similar looking Fotodiox adapter for Mamiya 645 lenses. Seems decently made, but then again I have yet to actually use it…

-Dave-
Title: Re: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: Gel on June 30, 2015, 05:38:56 pm
That's the one Phil.
Title: Re: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: PBC on June 30, 2015, 05:57:11 pm
Thanks Gel, have you any experience with using this?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: alatreille on June 30, 2015, 09:34:41 pm
My current thinking is to use my zork P645-Canon with the metabones.....outch, lots of adapters.

Hoping someone brings out a direct adapter as well as perhaps a dedicated shift adapter

I wonder also if there opportunity to have electronic control of aperature?
Title: Re: Pentax 645 Adapters for Sony A7RII
Post by: cullings on July 09, 2015, 03:10:57 am
Sorry as this is a bit between forums but thought this was the best place to post :-)

After having carried my Pentax 645D on trips as a back-up to my 645Z, I had had one of those moments and decided to try something different and so I am going to replace the 645D with a Sony A7RII, allowing me to cut down on the weight I carry around and also (hopefully) to allow some different types of photography.

Not knowing much about this strange new world of mirrorless cameras, etc. I am wondering if anyone has any experience of using adapters that support mounting my 645 lenses on the Sony and if so, how limited is the functionality?   Manual focus is not a problem, but how does aperture, metering and quality fair?

Also, what happens to the "focal length"?  I am assuming the 150mm 645 lens, returned to being a 150mm "35mm equivalent" ?

Hopefully the decision becomes a wise one :-)

All help gratefully received.

Thanks

Phil
-----------------
Hi, I use the Mirex shift adapter with my Mamiya 24 and 35mm lenses. It has a Canon fitting which I connect to a Canon/Sony-E adapter to my Sony a6000 camera. It works great.  I see that Mirex also has Hasselblad and Pentax 645 adapters.  see:  www.mirex-adapter.de/tilt_shift_adapter.htm.   The web page is in German, but you can use www.translate.google.com  for a pretty good translation.  I hope to use this combo when I upgrade to an A7 camera.   - John