Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: churly on June 26, 2015, 07:41:28 pm
-
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Chuck
-
Chuck - I think compositionally this has some problems. The flower is "pushed to the edge" of frame and the pistil which is somewhat of a focal point is "pushed to the bottom" - so the issue here is framing generally. If this is a crop you could look at it with more space around these elements. That said, the tones and colors are quite beautiful - and you have the power of complimentary colors i.e. purples/yellows working here. I would always be drawn to shooting this especially with those colors/tones. The graininess/noise is distracting in an image like this. /B
-
I like the colours and structure. The visual focus for me is the tip of the pistil (the stigma), but focus seems to be a little further back.
You know the three parts of a pistil, from top to bottom -- stigma, style, ovary -- remembered by the following conversation:
- there's no stigma to being a botanist
- there's no style, either
- ovary funny
-
Brandt and Scott - thanks for the thoughtful comments. The idea was to be looking past the flower towards the hints of things in the green light but I clearly didn't hit it and also also missed the focus. The fate of a fuzzy concept. :)
You know the three parts of a pistil, from top to bottom -- stigma, style, ovary -- remembered by the following conversation:
- there's no stigma to being a botanist
- there's no style, either
- ovary funny
I've never heard that one but will put into my memory map.
Chuck