Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: michaelbiondo on June 20, 2015, 10:35:38 am
-
Was having issues with the USB 3.0 plug falling out of the Pentax. And very concerned with the fragility of the 3.0 connection in general. Came up with this solution using a pile of RRS stuff.
It was an easy fix for me since I have the camera on a rail for panos anyway. I am not certain if this is the best or most elegant solution to the problem. Would love to know if anyone else is encountering this problem with the 3.0 connection and what solutions they have come up with.
MB
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/hm71knzc30g301j/usb3.jpg?dl=0)
-
I haven't had any problems with the USB3 connection when tethering with an Phase IQ180 and Surface Pro. The connection on the MFDB is pretty secure. I use the shortest USB3 cord possible for a cleaner set-up, which also reduces the possibility of something getting caught on the cord and yanking it out, or worse yet pushing the camera over. There are several clamping configurations that I've developed to keep the Surface Pro close or attached to the tripod which are discussed on my blog.
It looks like the RRS cable accessory plates are a good solution for your rig.
ken
-
Having followed Ken's Surface Pro odyssey, and comparing his solution to attaching the SP to the tripod, I wonder whether the cable falling out isn't a feature rather than a defect. (Like the magsafe connectors on Mac laptops.)
I'd hate to have someone pull the camera over by snagging the cable.
-
True, I have avoided the "Jerk Stopper" solution in the past because I would rather see the cable come out than the camera and/or laptop go over. But the nature of usb 3.0 connection is much more fragile, the cable comes out on it's own with a modest move of the camera and I am concerned that female (camera) side of the connection will get damaged. Necessitating a trip to the camera doctor (in this case a long slow trip to Japan)
MB
-
Michael, if the worry is just a little loose connection on your camera, how about a little reusable tack adhesive on the connector end and camera body? http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Reusable-Adhesive-Ounces-98620/dp/B001CEMCXQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434824211&sr=8-2&keywords=elmers+tacky+putty&pebp=1434824228706&perid=0G0EZJFCHYN6K31HW32Q Just enough to hold it in...
-
Thanks Ken, I'll give it a try
MB