Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 17, 2015, 03:55:31 pm

Title: flowers
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 17, 2015, 03:55:31 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: louoates on June 17, 2015, 05:47:20 pm
#2 (middle) is best by far for me. The color version looks too manipulated and the top version too contrasty.
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 17, 2015, 05:48:15 pm
I find photographing flowers very difficult to pull off successfully (I have a friend who is very good at it, so I know it can be done).

Of these, the monochromes work better for me compositionally than the color one, and of the two, I prefer the second version, which is a little bit lighter and softer and thus has more of the feeling of a nice flower. The first feels just a tiny bit harsh, but the second is right on.
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 17, 2015, 08:27:41 pm
... Of these, the monochromes work better for me compositionally than the color one, and of the two, I prefer the second version, which is a little bit lighter and softer and thus has more of the feeling of a nice flower. The first feels just a tiny bit harsh, but the second is right on.

+1
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: Chairman Bill on June 18, 2015, 04:42:34 am
I like mono photos of flowers, drawing attention to form rather than colour. Both are good, and though Slobodan might say the darker one is 'macabre'  :) I like it
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: stamper on June 18, 2015, 05:11:05 am
I find photographing flowers very difficult to pull off successfully (I have a friend who is very good at it, so I know it can be done).

Of these, the monochromes work better for me compositionally than the color one, and of the two, I prefer the second version, which is a little bit lighter and softer and thus has more of the feeling of a nice flower. The first feels just a tiny bit harsh, but the second is right on.

Eric is spot on. I find it difficult to achieve. #2 for me.
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: mbaginy on June 18, 2015, 05:33:15 am
Nice roses!  My favorite is the second b&w image - I like the subtle shades of grey.

I would have probably used a diffusor (held as close as possible to the rose) to soften the sunlight of the color shot.
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: brandtb on June 18, 2015, 05:45:12 pm
Jeremy I like the b/w version, first one best (maybe with little less contrast)...but on those I would bring up the blacks just a bit...pull crop out a bit /B
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 22, 2015, 09:57:11 am
2 4 me 2
Title: Re: flowers
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 29, 2015, 02:33:50 pm
Thanks, all. I really like flowers in monochrome, so I'll probably post some more.

Lou, your comment is interesting: the colour version has had almost no processing at all, apart from a bit of darkening of the background.

Jeremy