Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Roberto Frieri on June 17, 2015, 03:09:07 pm

Title: Little boy at the railing
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 17, 2015, 03:09:07 pm
Fine art print on baryta paper.
M6 + Summicron-M 1:2/35 Asph. + ND filter
Kodak Tri-X 400
Title: Re: Little boy at the railing
Post by: francois on June 18, 2015, 06:31:52 am
I like it (especially the framing and geometry) but frankly, the little boy is not "obvious". On a large print, it might be different, though.
Title: Re: Little boy at the railing
Post by: stamper on June 18, 2015, 06:56:02 am
Once again francois's evaluation is spot on.
Title: Re: Little boy at the railing
Post by: Otto Phocus on June 18, 2015, 08:26:11 am
If the intent was the boy and the fence, I find the building too dominant in the shot.

I had to hunt for the boy as there is nothing in the image that would lead the eye to the boy.

With this exposure, it is easy to overlook the boy as another support for the fence.

I liked that you put the boy off center, but with the dominant building in the center, it upset the composition.

I think some judicious cropping might improve this shot.

Turn the building into a background but remove it as an object from the composition.
Title: Re: Little boy at the railing
Post by: luxborealis on June 18, 2015, 06:52:19 pm
This one I like as is.

Usually I'm one to criticize when the expectation created by the title does not match the photograph, but in this case it works as the boy is quite little both in age and compared to the building behind. I find I am more appreciative now of photographs that don't explain everything, but leave me wondering.
Title: Re: Little boy at the railing
Post by: Iluvmycam on June 18, 2015, 06:57:22 pm
Don't like it, kid is too small. But otherwise it is OK. If you like it, that is all that matters.

Here is something I wrote on shooting from behind. This is how I like to work...explicit. I don't like to have to fight to find things of interest.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/shooting-from-behind-a-subject-is-a-necessity-sometimes/
Title: Re: Little boy at the railing
Post by: Roberto Frieri on June 21, 2015, 02:56:01 am
I like it (especially the framing and geometry) but frankly, the little boy is not "obvious". On a large print, it might be different, though.
Thank you Francois.

Once again francois's evaluation is spot on.
Thank you stamper for you opinion.

If the intent was the boy and the fence, I find the building too dominant in the shot.
I had to hunt for the boy as there is nothing in the image that would lead the eye to the boy.
With this exposure, it is easy to overlook the boy as another support for the fence.
I liked that you put the boy off center, but with the dominant building in the center, it upset the composition.
I think some judicious cropping might improve this shot.
Turn the building into a background but remove it as an object from the composition.
Thank you Otto for your articulated comment.
I think that the main broken line, the one that go through the picture just above the fence, could lead the eye to the boy.

This one I like as is.
Usually I'm one to criticize when the expectation created by the title does not match the photograph, but in this case it works as the boy is quite little both in age and compared to the building behind. I find I am more appreciative now of photographs that don't explain everything, but leave me wondering.
Thank you Terry.

Don't like it, kid is too small. But otherwise it is OK. If you like it, that is all that matters.
Here is something I wrote on shooting from behind. This is how I like to work...explicit. I don't like to have to fight to find things of interest.
nsfw
https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/shooting-from-behind-a-subject-is-a-necessity-sometimes/
Thank you Daniel for your sincere and frank comment.
However, this is not a picture taken "from behind", or not as you intend it: "...shot by someone that is scared to confront a subject, so they shoot from a distance and from behind".