Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on June 14, 2015, 11:34:30 pm

Title: Reality Farming
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 14, 2015, 11:34:30 pm
Which, if either, do you prefer?
thanks, -t
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: BobDavid on June 15, 2015, 12:55:39 am
The black and white one has a nice surreal quality. I like it. It's interesting to look at, peculiar, and funny.
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: Johnny_Johnson on June 15, 2015, 04:31:04 am
I really, really like goats but I much prefer real ones.

Later,
Johnny
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: francois on June 15, 2015, 04:34:05 am
The B&W is the one I would keep but I'm not sure that this photo would find a place in my living room  :D
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: stamper on June 15, 2015, 06:12:16 am
The B&W....by a whisker. A likeable image francois summed it up nicely.
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: BobDavid on June 15, 2015, 08:16:42 am
I think the fake goat works better than a real one would. I like oddball photos showing surrealistic undertones. I think this one is pleasantly subtle. I wouldn't want to hang it above my living room couch, but it would look great in my office.
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 16, 2015, 12:29:13 am
Thanks everyone who commented. -t
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 21, 2015, 12:24:56 am
Todd - I think this is an interesting image...don't know about color/btw. The real issue for me is that there is a really bright cloud at the top that draws the eye first (the brighest thing in frame) - then that is separated by a "dark well of space" in the middle third of the frame btw cloud and figure....this cuts the image in half. I would look at bringing up the shadows in the soffit of roof and the area with the wire grill. /B

Thanks Brandt. I liked the cloud at the scene -shot it quickly before it moved- I selected another shot after it had moved, changed image to 4:5, and lightened up the areas you mentioned. I like this better than the first. Still not sure about BW Vs Color but leaning to BW until I have printed it. Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinions, -t

Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: BobDavid on June 21, 2015, 12:43:48 am
Your first B & W is the best. I think off-kilter framing is appropriate.
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 21, 2015, 10:28:59 am
Your first B & W is the best. I think off-kilter framing is appropriate.
+1.
Title: Re: Reality Farming
Post by: brandtb on June 21, 2015, 11:59:10 am
Sure Todd always, I still like the cloud frame...but the other is good too. I think the main point was to pull dark shadows a bit in middle of frame.  I think the middle image in the second post has shadows pulled up and looks a unnatural. As a potential frame of reference I would look work at the work by Walker Evans for NSA and and then at the other end of the specturm "Time Wearing Out Memory: Schoharie County" by Susan Daley/Steve Gross. The latter example I think of unsuccessful processing...but it's instructive. These images in Daley/Gross...have so much contrast from image to image...it's just tiring to look at them. /Brandt