Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Arlen on June 14, 2015, 10:27:56 am

Title: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Arlen on June 14, 2015, 10:27:56 am
I took this shot several weeks ago, and something keeps drawing me back to it. Comments and critique appreciated.




Myope's* Garden Glance

(http://www.pbase.com/art1/image/160420586/original.jpg)


* I.e., me
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: luxborealis on June 14, 2015, 10:36:02 am
No constructive criticism here, this photograph is spectacular. An absolute "keeper". I see it as a huge (40x60) print that I would never tire of.
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 14, 2015, 12:58:32 pm
No constructive criticism here, this photograph is spectacular. An absolute "keeper". I see it as a huge (40x60) print that I would never tire of.

+1. Can't add anything to that.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 14, 2015, 02:45:31 pm
+1 (or is it +2?)

P.S. What lens (or technique) produces such a smooth bokeh?
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 14, 2015, 03:10:15 pm
+3!
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: John R on June 14, 2015, 05:17:43 pm
The bokeh throughout is splendid. Wonderful repetitive shapes with just enough sharpness to make everything come together.

JR
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: BobDavid on June 15, 2015, 12:54:01 am
silky smoooth
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: francois on June 15, 2015, 04:32:45 am
Leave it as it is, it's a work of art!

Bravo
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: stamper on June 15, 2015, 06:13:55 am
It has all been said. Worth being drawn back to.
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: seamus finn on June 15, 2015, 07:29:09 am
Wonderful!
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Bob_B on June 15, 2015, 09:38:26 am
I agree with the others: beautiful image.
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Arlen on June 15, 2015, 01:59:10 pm
Thanks very much to all of you for such helpful comments. Sometimes with abstract images I find myself drawn to one or another, but am not quite sure why, or if I'm alone in that judgment.

Terry, I just may follow your suggestion to print it big--my wife has a large space on a wall that she thinks would be perfect for it. My Epson 3880 only goes up to 16x20, so I guess I'll find someone to print it for me.

Slobodan, this image was taken with an Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro lens, on an Olympus E-M1, handheld at f/2.8, 1/250 with manual focus. I've only had the lens for a few weeks, but I'm very impressed with it--especially the bokeh--after having shot macro with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 for many years. Unusually for me, the image as you see it is almost straight out of the camera, with minimal processing; just a couple of small dark spots removed. All the LR sliders are at default. Some of the more saturated oranges were muted when converted to sRGB for the web, but after reflection, I actually prefer it that way.
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 15, 2015, 11:28:30 pm
Love it, Arlen. I gather your new Olympus is much better than your older Canon? Or just as good?
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Mjean on June 16, 2015, 10:29:51 am
It is a beautifully done!
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: pcgpcg on June 16, 2015, 11:37:09 am
Wow! Magnificent!
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 16, 2015, 01:08:45 pm
... Slobodan, this image was taken with an Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro lens, on an Olympus E-M1, handheld at f/2.8, 1/250 with manual focus...

Thanks. I think you should contact Olympus. They are currently running a series of ads under the banner: "Myth: You can't get shallow depth of field with mirrorless cameras."  :)
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: davidh202 on June 16, 2015, 10:24:13 pm
Thanks. I think you should contact Olympus. They are currently running a series of ads under the banner: "Myth: You can't get shallow depth of field with mirrorless cameras."  :)


I agree . That is gorgeous! 
you should definitely  also enter it in their monthly user photos submissions
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/topnav_gallery?icn=topnav&ici=learnsharenav_main-gallery

My 40-150 PRO arrives tomorrow (yea), and though I have the 4/3rds 50mm ,EX25, and the MMF-3 adapter for the EM-1 I am so tempted to purchase the 60mm while it's on sale !!
I continue to see some really great images with that lens
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: Arlen on June 17, 2015, 10:34:05 am
Love it, Arlen. I gather your new Olympus is much better than your older Canon? Or just as good?

Scott, it's too early in my use of the of the Olympus lens to make sweeping comparisons to the older Canon. But at this point I would say that while the Canon lens is very good, and there are situations where its use may be preferable, when coupled with the E-M1 the Olympus lens is more fun to use and seems to lack for nothing in image quality.

My 40-150 PRO arrives tomorrow (yea), and though I have the 4/3rds 50mm ,EX25, and the MMF-3 adapter for the EM-1 I am so tempted to purchase the 60mm while it's on sale !!
I continue to see some really great images with that lens

David, I similarly finally succumbed to a sale and bought the 60mm macro. It frequently goes on sale for $50 off, but when it was $100 off about a month ago, I couldn't resist. I'm glad I pulled the trigger. If you subscribe to Olympus's email notifications, they will alert you when it goes on sale. When it does, it's on sale everywhere, not just in their online store.

You will enjoy the 40-150 lens. A little heavy for a m4/3 camera, but a fraction of the weight of a similar lens for a full frame camera. And it is really excellent. Plus, with the teleconverter, it has the reach of 410mm full frame lens.
Title: Re: Myope's Garden Glance
Post by: mbaginy on June 17, 2015, 12:28:20 pm
Wow, Arlen, that's a beautiful photo!  I love the shallow depth of field and pastel colors.  Absolutely stunning!

And I admit, I hadn't thought such a shallow DoF possible with M4/3.  You've convinced me of the opposite!