Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: luxborealis on June 13, 2015, 12:45:35 pm

Title: Two from this morning
Post by: luxborealis on June 13, 2015, 12:45:35 pm
It seems we are all feeling the affects of rain. I, for one, love it! But my lawn beckons.

These two are from our local university's arboretum. Both tulip trees and rhododendrons are at their northern limit here, so it was a pleasure to find them in bloom this morning.

D800E w/ AF-S 18-35mm
ISO 1600: hand-held as there was too much of a breeze for a tripod
Polarizing filter to reduce the glare from the overcast sky
Processed in LR6

Neglected Beauty: ƒ5.6 @ 1/30; EV-1

Tulip Tree: ƒ8 @ 1/80; EV-1
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: Arlen on June 13, 2015, 01:40:17 pm
Terry, I quite like the way you've handled the tulip tree. About how big is the flower?
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: Kerry L on June 13, 2015, 01:49:38 pm
Love the look of the soft light.

The pink really explodes from the back ground.

Very nice. Both!
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: Chairman Bill on June 13, 2015, 02:03:39 pm
I like them both, but I'm a bit of a sucker for monochrome flowers, and that's a really nice one
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: armand on June 13, 2015, 02:20:35 pm
You say that it was too breezy for a tripod but you used 1/30. Wasn't the vegetation moving too much?
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 13, 2015, 03:11:53 pm
I like them both, but I'm a bit of a sucker for monochrome flowers, and that's a really nice one

+1.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: luxborealis on June 13, 2015, 03:14:53 pm
You say that it was too breezy for a tripod but you used 1/30. Wasn't the vegetation moving too much?


You can imagine that a number of shots were blurred. I happened to catch this one at the right moment of near stillness. Yes, this means I could have used a tripod, but given the morning, it just didn't seem likely to be useful. It was close to hand, though, as the car wasn't more than 100m away.
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: luxborealis on June 13, 2015, 03:29:24 pm
Terry, I quite like the way you've handled the tulip tree. About how big is the flower?

Thanks, Arlen. The flower is about 3" across; a little larger and more robust than your average, in the ground, tulip flower.
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 13, 2015, 06:06:14 pm
They are both pleasing shots. To me the tulip tree is special.
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: BobDavid on June 13, 2015, 10:00:51 pm
Candy for the eyes--especially the color photo.
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: Bob_B on June 14, 2015, 08:33:04 am
They are both pleasing shots. To me the tulip tree is special.


+1. Nice processing on the monochrome tulip tree flower.
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: stamper on June 14, 2015, 01:16:09 pm
#2 for me. More interesting than #1.
Title: Re: Two from this morning
Post by: francois on June 15, 2015, 05:13:15 am
Initially, briefly, I was attracted by the first photo but the more I look at the second one, the more I like it.
You had a great morning!