Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 12, 2015, 02:48:36 pm

Title: staircase
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 12, 2015, 02:48:36 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 12, 2015, 02:57:25 pm
I think the idea is fine, just a little too busy and broad-daylightish. Perhaps a silhouetted human figure might have helped?
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 12, 2015, 03:06:46 pm
I think the idea is fine, just a little too busy and broad-daylightish. Perhaps a silhouetted human figure might have helped?

Thanks, Slobodan. I see what you mean. I like the shadow, which is (obviously) difficult to see in other than direct sunshine, and we don't get a lot of that in Manchester. I'll try again, perhaps: it's a fairly busy station entrance, so getting a figure or two in shot shouldn't be awfully difficult.

Jeremy
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: Kerry L on June 13, 2015, 11:34:58 am
Agree with Slobodan's comments.
Also I wonder about cropping down to just below the 3rd set of steps to make it a bit less busy top left.

Nice colour though.

Kerry
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: luxborealis on June 13, 2015, 12:23:07 pm
Agree with Slobodan's comments.
Also I wonder about cropping down to just below the 3rd set of steps to make it a bit less busy top left.

Nice colour though.

Kerry

Agreed - you don't actually need the ground. In fact, the concept might be stronger without it.
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 13, 2015, 01:17:11 pm
There are several interpretations possible:

Title: Re: staircase
Post by: Kerry L on June 13, 2015, 01:42:58 pm
There are several interpretations possible:



Yes indeed. Certainly with a person/people

Kerry
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 13, 2015, 03:12:09 pm
I vote for Slobodan version 2.
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 13, 2015, 03:19:15 pm
Thanks, Slobodan: food for thought. Unusually for me, I'd not really thought about monochrome as it's the garish colours which draw my eye each day, but it's an interesting take.

Jeremy
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: francois on June 15, 2015, 04:47:23 am
I also like the bright colors but Slobodan's second version is the cleanest/less busy.
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: sdwilsonsct on June 15, 2015, 11:27:15 am
I think omitting the ground increases the abstraction and energy.
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: RSL on June 17, 2015, 01:32:11 pm
I think Slobodan's got the answer. B&W turns it into an abstraction. Good shooting, Jeremy.
Title: Re: staircase
Post by: BobDavid on June 18, 2015, 01:28:29 am
I vote for Slobodan version 2.

Agreed.

I like the subject. You may want to revisit it and take pictures of it in different lighting and weather conditions. It would be too easy to put a beautiful young woman into the scene. I think the picture needs to show three, rather than two, stairways. Maybe climb up a tall step ladder or use a shift lens to avoid a whacky perspective.