Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on June 11, 2015, 04:54:18 pm

Title: keep tidy
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 11, 2015, 04:54:18 pm
Comments?

Jeremy
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 11, 2015, 05:30:06 pm
Amusing. Nice.
At least the arch of bricks is fairly tidy.
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: francois on June 12, 2015, 03:56:58 am
No need of a sign, everything is tidy in this place!

Well seen.
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: brandtb on June 12, 2015, 07:06:31 am
The arch is is interesting, not so sure about the other elements - was the color of brick interesting? Also, when you have a "straight-on frontal" of a centered view of architecture like this one in particular - I'm not sure there is really a good reason for having the horizontals "slightly" out of level? I.e., the window heads especially. Using "auto"/"full-correct" dealt with this well in ACR just now. /B
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 12, 2015, 02:38:22 pm
The arch is is interesting, not so sure about the other elements - was the color of brick interesting? Also, when you have a "straight-on frontal" of a centered view of architecture like this one in particular - I'm not sure there is really a good reason for having the horizontals "slightly" out of level? I.e., the window heads especially. Using "auto"/"full-correct" dealt with this well in ACR just now. /B

No, the bricks were dull. I'd levelled it using the lower brick courses, which are pretty much spot on, and the window verticals: you're right that the window horizontals don't do what they say they do. I've used auto in LR just now, and while it does something, I'm not convinced that it's an improvement.

I thought it was more of an amusing shot than a fine art shot, I confess.

Jeremy
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 12, 2015, 04:24:49 pm
Amusing it is, and it needs no corrections.
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: RSL on June 12, 2015, 04:47:48 pm
+1
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: brandtb on June 12, 2015, 05:33:59 pm
J. I used "full" and it did the job - generally would make an argument for keeping something like this slightly off kilter. At any rate, I think it is an interesting arch. shot...with the arch and the "v" shape - and interesting along with the other arch. shots recently.  I think the sign is just a sign and not much more than that. Since you don't see the "yard" at all, except for a small swath which is mowed and clean it doesn't become the "persuasive" aspect of the shot...just a minor bit in the frame. /B
Title: Re: keep tidy
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 13, 2015, 04:24:35 am
J. I used "full" and it did the job - generally would make an argument for keeping something like this slightly off kilter. At any rate, I think it is an interesting arch. shot...with the arch and the "v" shape - and interesting along with the other arch. shots recently.  I think the sign is just a sign and not much more than that. Since you don't see the "yard" at all, except for a small swath which is mowed and clean it doesn't become the "persuasive" aspect of the shot...just a minor bit in the frame. /B

Fair enough. I'll look again.

There's no yard any more, just a rather nicely-kept grassed area where "military fitness" classes take place when it's not raining.

Jeremy