Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: NancyP on June 08, 2015, 02:18:05 pm
-
This is a spent Missouri primrose after a shower. The petals turned translucent.
-
Very nice, soft colors and the "translucency" of the soaked petals gives this almost magical look.
Well done.
-
At first glance I thought it was one of the canyons from the USA mid west but it is more interesting than one of them. Different from the "usual" on here. Very nice and worth the effort to post it.
-
It's a very pleasing abstract, Nancy, and I like it. I don't think I need to know what it is!
Jeremy
-
Lovely. You and Bob_B are nudging my next lens purchase in the macro direction.
I might crop out the yellow piece to play up the patterns in the petals.
-
I have thought about such a crop, and about how abstract I want this. This particular crop is for an upcoming local nature photographers' meeting, and I wanted just a hint as to what this is. The yellow thing is the stigma (pollen receiving structure attached to the ovary), an X shaped structure in this flower. Crop it and the grass blade out, and I sure would not be able to tell this had been a flower. The odd thing is that the color of the flower when first open is a pale yellow, without the peach tinge.
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/missouri-evening-primrose
-
I like it just the way it is. I wouldn't crop, but I might be tempted to try removing the yellow part through some content-aware trickery.
-
On second thought, after reading your explanation, I wouldn't change a thing.
-
Oh wow, this is a very interesting perspective. Now, I start thinking about a macro lens. Just curious, all natural lighting?
-
Yep - all natural lighting. The day was quite overcast, with occasional sprinkles - the sort of day in which I get an urge to shoot macro in the open (can't get more diffuse light than overcast), and this was shot in a conservation area's limestone glade. Thanks.
-
I really enjoy the softness and tonality of the petals, and how the raindrops add gentle highlights. Nice all around.
-
Macro has given me a whole new outlook on "lousy weather" and time of day - mid-afternoon with heavy overcast and recent rain is macro heaven.
My state has a good network of amateur naturalist organizations (no, NOT "naturist", remember, this is the Bible Belt!). One thing I have considered doing when I retire is being a docent, research assistant/site surveyer, or just-plain-trail-maintenance helper for a local conservation department educational center or ecology researcher or trail. We have great conservation department pros, but they can always use help. There are classes given by local experts on a variety of topics, and if you take enough of them or get other useful experience, you get listed as "Missouri Master Naturalist" - a trained docent available for school tours, adult education classes, etc. So, I am out there exploring for wildflowers, grasses, mushrooms, insects, etc and trying to ID and learn a little bit about each one and its ecological niche as I go.
-
Good for you. I hope you do so. I'm still gainfully employed, but volunteer at the nearby Patapsco Valley State Park (http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/central/patapsco.aspx). They have used a few of my photos, and I give them some of my time when I can. It's a lot of fun and very rewarding.
-
Very nice.
-
Cool Nancy! This makes my macro of the foxglove look like child's play. I really feel I need a 200mm Macro lens to do it properly instead of my 105mm...
-
Beautiful. Excellent blend of colour with the translucence of the petals. And the variety in the water droplets certainly adds to the overall look.
-
It's a beautifully nuanced and rather unique take on that flower, Nancy. I like it.
-
Late to the party, but equally congratulatory on a beautiful photograph with a unique perspective and timing. Well seen and captured, Nancy.